Vertical Stabilizer from ME109

militbuff

I also meant to note that the WK 18582 is the Werk Nummer, or Work Number I believe. It was a number that identified this specific aircraft.

See page 305 in the following on-line version of German Aircraft Industry and Production, 1933 to 1945.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Elfmh6eJFrMC&pg=PA303&lpg=PA303&dq=messerschmitt+109+work+number+list&source=bl&ots=wowcvQu-pe&sig=Xl3XHOlUKjmXRxH1IR9KEyfHIk8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj688SP-ZvfAhUq7IMKHVMtAvM4ChDoATABegQICBAB#v=snippet&q=messerschmitt%20109%20werk%20number&f=false

Unfortunately complete lists of WK numbers apparently do not exist, but the book holds out the possibility of partial lists. You might do some digging to see if someone can trace down more information on this particular aircraft.

I have it up on the Wehrmacht Forum too and it was then reposted to the 12 O Clock High forum. A German member there has a list of plane serial numbers and said the following:

That G-6Trop was test flown at Regensburg on 6.07.43 and destroyed in a bomb raid at Leverano on 23.07.43, when it belonged to 10./JG 3.

This is one of the most amazing things I have seen on here in a long time! What an incredible bring back. Would love to know how he was able to ship it back with his "haul" of booty.

Ive been doing some more reviewing of the Lt. Col.s paperwork that came with the group and it appears that the entire 450th Bomb Group was almost immediately redeployed back to the USA (May 14 or so) to prepare for the invasion of Japan. I spoke with a fellow collector yesterday and he said that they likely flew back to the USA rather than went by ship. That would definitely explain how he got the tail back!

USCapturephotos

I love the back story coming to light. Glad someone started looking at that number as I thought there should be some more info out there with that clue. Here are a few original photos from my collection showing GI's with tail sections or cut pieces from German aircraft. Sorry for the annoying blue lines but my photos have ended up on Facebook or ebay without my permission....

Paul

post-100030-0-97371300-1544798393_thumb.jpg

USCapturephotos

I especially love this one as the GI is in the process of cutting out the swastika...you can see the cuts...also he is holding some sort of tin snips in his hand.

Paul

post-100030-0-96570000-1544798459_thumb.jpg

Paul, these photos are fantastic.

Please post a photo or two of your cut swastika from a BF 109 sometime. I have seen it in person, but would really enjoy seeing it again here.

Awesome photos!

Heres some pics of the Italian naval helmet that came with the group. I dont use the term mint very often but this is mint condition. Paint job is complete with some scuffing from storage and leather liner is still supple. I thought it was fake when I first saw it until I saw everything else from the two trunks and the paperwork.

post-1945-0-44704500-1544801035_thumb.jpeg

USCapturephotos

Hey Militbuff I don't know much about Italian helmets but the condition of that one is incredible. Here is the cut section I have from a BF 109 shipped home by Winfred Brady, aviation metal smith on the USS Savannah sometime during or after Operation Husky ended in Sicily. The nephew who owned this said that he had also sent home the control stick cut from the same aircraft but that had been sold already. I actually bought this from the dealer who got it from the family and he was nice enough to put me in touch with the family to get the back story.

Paul

post-100030-0-17040800-1544889677_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

In case anyone is interested the ME109 vertical stabilizer is now up for auction at Cowans Auctions along with the provenance papers in the May 1-2 Historic Firearms and Early Militaria Premier Auction (https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/ve...mpaign-3936367).

In addition, the 2 German sea flags, the 2 Italian sea flags and the Italian helmet that came with the piece are up for auction as well at Cowans. The pictures for the latter items will be online very soon.

Here are pictures of the flags and helmets. Whats cool, as I mentioned before, is that the tail, flags and helmet are all noted in the customs document.

post-1945-0-00757200-1554467116.jpeg

post-1945-0-05240900-1554467124.jpeg

post-1945-0-20019200-1554467132.jpeg

• 4 years later...
On 12/15/2018 at 11:01 AM, USCapturephotos said:

Hey Militbuff I don't know much about Italian helmets but the condition of that one is incredible. Here is the cut section I have from a BF 109 shipped home by Winfred Brady, aviation metal smith on the USS Savannah sometime during or after Operation Husky ended in Sicily. The nephew who owned this said that he had also sent home the control stick cut from the same aircraft but that had been sold already. I actually bought this from the dealer who got it from the family and he was nice enough to put me in touch with the family to get the back story.

Paul

🤣🤣🤣

Paul,

When you gonna sell me that piece? It'd look absolutely fantastic right next to my coverlet from Brady off U.S.S. Savannah, CL-42! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Regards,
Jim(U.S.S. Savannah, CL-42 page/Facebook)

USCapturephotos
34 minutes ago, FRISCAN said:

Paul,

When you gonna sell me that piece? It'd look absolutely fantastic right next to my coverlet from Brady off U.S.S. Savannah, CL-42! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Regards,
Jim(U.S.S. Savannah, CL-42 page/Facebook)

Jim that is really cool! I spoke with his nephew once as he was the one that Brady sent the 109 tail section to. He told me Brady also sent home the control stick to that aircraft but it was sold already. Anyway, I’d love to see what you have regarding him. I regret not asking the family for a photo.

Sincerely,

Paul