Vertical Stabilizer from ME109

militbuff

I just picked up this vertical stabilizer from a ME109 tail. It even has a bullet hole in it.

I purchased a whole group of items (USAAF uniforms and paperwork) directly from the son of a WWII vet who was a B24 pilot stationed in Italy during the war. He somehow had it shipped back with his gear!

I figured it would be appreciated here since my wife and kids dont like it!

post-1945-0-16108900-1544647035_thumb.jpeg

Thanks to all for the comments!

Amazing find! If only the veteran were still here to tell the story of how he got that shipped home.

Believe it or not, I think he shipped it home in a foot locker! Here is a customs declaration that states what he shipped home and on Line 24, it says Quantity 2 and then Italian Markings (?), Tail Old Plane.

I have 2 of his foot lockers and neither would fit the tail, so maybe it came in a third.

I did get an Italian Naval Helmet in MINT condition, two German sea flags with ropes and two Italian Sea flags also with ropes. But no Italian pistol or leather A2 jacket. These two must have disappeared over time.

Ill show the helmet and flags later. The helmet is in such good condition I thought it was fake at first. Its amazing how well things can survive for 75 years when theyre in a trunk in an attic.

post-1945-0-84604000-1544653917_thumb.jpeg

Well your wife probably appreciated you putting that blanket under it to protect that floor. I agree with everyone else - a great item. I suppose that stuff was spread all over Europe as the war ended and just considered junk.

USCapturephotos

Man. This takes the cake. I have a cut swastika from a BF 109 the vet sent from Sicily...but this is incredible. What bomb group was he with in Italy? It wasn't the 454th by chance was it?

Thanks,

Paul

Man. This takes the cake. I have a cut swastika from a BF 109 the vet sent from Sicily...but this is incredible. What bomb group was he with in Italy? It wasn't the 454th by chance was it?

Thanks,

Paul

He was with the 450th bomb group, 772nd Bomb Squadron, a B24 group. Whats cool is he was a Lt. Col. as you can see in the document. Im not sure where they flew out of.

Nice item. Please also add this to a thread on our new World Militaria Forum along with any other foreign items you may have picked up. We want to build up content on that Forum as well. Thanks!

http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/57-military-aircraft-aviation/

Ill be sure to do that this weekend. Its nice to put them up for posterity sake!

I also meant to note that the WK 18582 is the Werk Nummer, or Work Number I believe. It was a number that identified this specific aircraft.

See page 305 in the following on-line version of German Aircraft Industry and Production, 1933 to 1945.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Elfmh6eJFrMC&pg=PA303&lpg=PA303&dq=messerschmitt+109+work+number+list&source=bl&ots=wowcvQu-pe&sig=Xl3XHOlUKjmXRxH1IR9KEyfHIk8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj688SP-ZvfAhUq7IMKHVMtAvM4ChDoATABegQICBAB#v=snippet&q=messerschmitt%20109%20werk%20number&f=false

Unfortunately complete lists of WK numbers apparently do not exist, but the book holds out the possibility of partial lists. You might do some digging to see if someone can trace down more information on this particular aircraft.

Brian Dentino

This is one of the most amazing things I have seen on here in a long time! What an incredible bring back. Would love to know how he was able to ship it back with his "haul" of booty.