Suggestions for Wing Restoration/Preservation

militbuff

Chris,

I totally see what you are pointing out. And my hat is off to you folks that collect ww1 wings! They are amazing! For me , those wings are just something to marvel over as

they are way way out of my league in collecting knowledge and the coin thats involved in buying them especially knowing enough not to get burned.

A Man has to know his limitations so I stay far away from ww1 wings. The method I am desribing for cleaning silver wings... I think is best used for wings like this here....

Its perfect to restore these in my opinion. But your advice is well taken.

I cannot leave them like this. lol

post-181333-0-52311700-1545497234_thumb.jpg

Nice wing!

Really, I am not one of those never polish guys. I actually prefer them to look a bit more like this:

post-594-0-71996500-1545524551_thumb.jpg

For me, the above wing is just about perfect. To my eye, nothing looks better than polished highlights contrasted with dark recesses.

Duncan Campbell used to keep his wings polished bright, he always told me that was because that is the way the soldiers would have worn them. At the other extreme is what I like to call the; "Cult of Tarnish" collectors who almost seem to worship tarnish as sacred.

In my own case, I grew up around a lot of antique silver and came to appreciate the contrast of polished sterling with patina in the recesses. Your milage may vary. At the end of the day, I have never seen a rare wing badge whose value was impacted by careful and proper cleaning.

Finally, and I honestly mean this; I think you should enjoy your collection in the way you see fit.

Oh and far as not collecting WW1 wings goes... Oh sure. For now. But we all know how it starts. You're at a gun show or antique shop and there it is, that Robbins wing with the gold "US" and its surprisingly cheap... Just know that when that day (inevitably) arrives there is a ready made support network right here.

I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas or happy holiday as your traditions allow.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Thank you and happy holidays to you and yours!

Personally, I lean towards the Duncan Campbell idea,

as I am also confident no personnel would show up with "Tarnished wings"

on their dress uniform. It would be a huge no go.

But like you said to each their own. That's a beautiful wing above!

I really get a kick out of your last comment about collecting ww1 wings.

8 months ago I thought I'd purchase a navy wing. First one was a Vanguard. About my 3rd wing, I scored an

Amcraft Navy Rolled gold Link pattern wing.Its the oldest I have.. Maybe 1920';s early 30's ? That wing there really set me going. The spark was lit!

But I stuck to Navy wings. Then after a while.... I picked up an aircorps... then another and another.. Then bullion wings!!!! I needed intervention awhile ago!!! lol

I'l never say never but, wings in the thousand dollar range... I hope to never get into!!!

Unless I just luck out, those are out of my league. There is one right now on ebay claiming to be ww1, going for over $1000.00

I wont post the link here but to my novice eye it looks fake as a 3 dollar bill. Seems to me its safer to stick to things I can def

see are authentic.

Cheers!

Dave