WWII AAF tools

phantomfixer

The folks on the G.503 have really good info on WWII tools...and AAF specific marked tools...or at least contracted by the AAF

here is a small selection of AAF specifically contracted by the AAF, that I have found locally... with exception to the WF-26 socket...that was acquired in trade

Plomb tools stamped their tools WF-xx to indicate a tool made under contract for Wright Field

Wright Tools company (not be confused with Wright Field) marked their tools AC (Air Corp?) with the year made

I can not say for 100 percent certainty that the tools were issued to AAF units exclusively, however one could make an argument that since the tools were contracted by the Army Air Force, they would have been primarily assigned/issued to AAF units...

Very cool to have tools that may...or may not have been used on the old WWII planes...all of these tools have been found in the local Dover area...home to Dover Army Air Field...test base for air to ground rockets, sub hunting, P-47 transition training etc....during WWII

post-155518-0-98259000-1544634097.jpg

I love it! Thanks for sharing! My GGGUncle was an engineer in the USAAC.AAF and worked on B-17s and B-24s, so this is super fun to see tools he might have used! They don't even look different than the tools my Dad has now and are not that old! I love seeing things like that, that really make the past seem real!

Glad you all Liked them..I have more and these were handy to kick start a tool thread...if anyone has any tools to share to the thread...

I'd love to see more of your collection. I always like looking through the old tools at the flea market. But know nothing about them. Now I have a small idea of things to look for. I found these huge old handmade wrenches a few months back that I fell in love with. Since then I've been fighting the antique tool bug.

post-2687-0-33727900-1544805067_thumb.jpg

Mikie

• 1 month later...

Here are few PWA marked tools ...PWA= Pratt and Whitney Aircraft...as the planes left the factory....excluding fighters, left with tool kits...

1/2 x 9/16 box wrench PWA 1239

3/8 drive ratchet PWA 1394

Both made by Bonney

post-155518-0-65247600-1549470985_thumb.jpg

post-155518-0-90625200-1549470996.jpg

post-155518-0-04504300-1549471006.jpg

• 1 month later...
phantomfixer

Wow..cool...but no ..no torches...having said that...the large 6ft oxygen bottles, green, used to service high pressure oxygen systems, are still used by the USAF...at Dover AFB ..I used bottles stamped 43 44 etc USAAF AAF..and various test dates...pretty cool...

• 1 year later...
phantomfixer

I forget which of the planes at the AMC museum has it...but one has a crew chief box still in it, and loaded...I think it is the C133...but it is cool that they thought of the crew chief...the C47 on display has a replica of Bing Wood's crew chief box...I made sure of that....

phantomfixer

I can get...if they open up the 133...has been closed since the coughing n sneezing started

On 7/6/2020 at 10:54 AM, phantomfixer said:

I forget which of the planes at the AMC museum has it...but one has a crew chief box still in it, and loaded...I think it is the C133...but it is cool that they thought of the crew chief...the C47 on display has a replica of Bing Wood's crew chief box...I made sure of that....

This is another one of those times when I wish we had a "Like" button to click on at USMF :mellow: