WW2 GI's loading up for the front.

I thought historical pics of GI's resupplying would be an interesting thread. Some state the GI's would be issued two extra Bandoliers of ammo and two extra grenades when gearing up for the front, patrols, etc, here are a few pics, keep adding,....notice this 101st with the German grenade.....post-180924-0-82335500-1544386604.jpeg

More.

Any idea where and when this picture taken? I noticed the M1 Carbine has a bayonet lug on it and there's always been alot of debate on whether Carbines with bayonet lugs saw action in WW2.

Based on what I see the soldier wearing and the background, in the pic of the soldier with the carbine, two Garands, and no sleeves on his shirt, my first thought was actually that the picture was from the Korean War and not WW2, thus the bayonet lugged carbine.

Photo #4 is interesting.Appears to show a carbine with adjustable rear sight late in the war.The man in the center looks to have put the spring hooks on the ammo belt and has a grenade hanging fron one of them.

Photo #4 is interesting.Appears to show a carbine with adjustable rear sight late in the war.The man in the center looks to have put the spring hooks on the ammo belt and has a grenade hanging fron one of them.

I've seen that picture before with a date in April 1945 and in the ETO. By that time the individual sights were available as repair parts if I remember correctly.

Carbine I purchased in 2013.Dated 7-44 has the adjustable rear site

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/185970-latest-m1-carbine/

I would also add that this carbine has the low wood stock of mid-1944 and later production which you would see matched with a adjustable rear slight. That is the carbine in the original post of the picture dating from WW2

Aside from installation at ordnance depots in Europe, adjustable sights began to appear on factory assembled Inland and Winchester carbines in mid 1944. That carbine in picture 4 looks to be a late wartime production: adjustable rear sight, type 2 barrel band, stamped/brazed trigger group and low wood buttstock. Very cool picture.

Soldier facing the camera in #4 - what type of hooks is he using to hang grenades from the bottom of his web belt?

Im thinking the standard spring clip type seen on M36 suspenders etc

Aside from installation at ordnance depots in Europe, adjustable sights began to appear on factory assembled Inland and Winchester carbines in mid 1944.

MWO ORD B28-W3 was issued as a kit with everything needed to replace flip sights with adjustable sites - everything except a vise - so field installation was also provided for.

Reports of field replacement of rear sights in ETO beginning in Feb 45 run the gamut from personal reminiscences to official reports. So far, I have located accounts mentioning replacement of sights for all or parts of 15 ETO divisions. Eluding me so far is an overall count and any schedule or prioritization. All five U.S. armies in the ETO are represented by the 15 divisions, so it doesn't appear the effort was a field trial or somebody's pet project.

Here is ORD 9, dated Jan 44 with the instructions for assembly... so they were making the stamped version as early as Jan 44. Mid 43 for the milled sight.

post-2641-0-13132300-1544564134_thumb.jpg

Any idea where and when this picture taken? I noticed the M1 Carbine has a bayonet lug on it and there's always been alot of debate on whether Carbines with bayonet lugs saw action in WW2.

Might be Okinawa. I know Ive seen a pic of a carbine with bayonet lug on Iwo Jima so Okinawa would likely have seen some that way too

Found another interesting load out vintage photo, notice the bandoleers, plus the extra few 250 round belted M2, notice the rifles, a Garand and an '03.post-180924-0-55262100-1545523082.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
BILL THE PATCH

It looks like that. how about the happy guy, it must be the wine or beer bottle he's holding.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

its from Korea, here is the caption

post-117117-0-25385900-1546774839_thumb.jpg