Need help with button ID. U.S.M.

Sarge8

I have a small box of buttons I have picked up over the years. A friend is looking for some Civil War buttons, so I pulled the box out and found 3 like the pictures below.

At first glance, I thought it was an early Marine button; bot could not find it in Albert's book.

Anyone know what it is?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

post-52851-0-33458200-1544225460.jpg

post-52851-0-47260400-1544225473.jpg

First, that is an AWESOME button. Based on the backmark, and Tice's book on dating buttons, dates to early 1850's. I cannot find it in Albert's book either, nor in Tice's book on buttons. But may have found it in McGuinn & Bazelon's book on backmarks. With this very backmark, he lists "Eagle over USM-US Mail". But no picture. The anchor is unusual though. Maybe mail ship button. Awesome button. Hope someone else knows more.

David

Thanks, David

Went back and found the item you saw in Bazelon's book. Have to do some more digging. Would have never thought of U S Mail with the anchor.

Care to hazard a guess as to value? Can't be too many out there (just what Custer said).

Frank

I think the anchor is the major clue. Must be a reason it's in the design. Prior to 1915, the USCG was the Revenue Cutter Service. And prior to 1894, the Revenue Cutter Service was the Revenue Marine. Is it possible this is a Revenue Marine button from the mid 1800's? (would have thought the logo at the bottom would have been USRM though)

Interesting button for sure.

Good thought but not in any of the reference books as Revenue Cutter, nor Marine. With the anchor I wonder if it could be steamship carrying US Mail??

Thanks for the input, dag and KurtA. I agree that the anchor HAS to play a big part in this. Maybe Bazelon was just making a S.W.A.G. that USM had anything to do with the mail.

I sent an email with pics to a Mr, Ridgeway who seems to be a very knowing guy about early buttons to see if he ever saw one

Will keep on digging. Could wind up being a $2 button or $200 one.hey are nice looking!

Frank

There were apparently two companies called the U.S. Mail or United States Mail Steamship Company, one in the 1850s and one in the 1920s. Not much online about their buttons, though.

Buttons for the "U.S. Mail Contract" and "United States Mail Steam Ship Company (1848)" are pictured below (just a sketch for the older steamship button). These are from Transportation Uniform Buttons, Vol.3, Maritime and Aviation, by Don Van Court. The one with the eagle on the left dates to 1890. The one discussed here could be a later version for the steam ship company.

post-11058-0-86980200-1544387751_thumb.jpg

Wondering if you have heard back from "Relicman" Harry Ridgeway, I agree that he is a good resource on buttons (buying and identifying). If you haven't seen it already he has a backmark reference section on his website, with this manufacturer at the link below, looks like your buttons have the "Scovill500" backmark about half way down this page.

http://relicman.com/buttons/Button9901-Backmark-Scovill000.html

I have not heard back from him yet. Still hoping. Thanks for the link. I do think these were made in the early 1850's, and now lean toward them being for the US Steamship Co.