2nd Ranger Company, 35 year Vet, 3 Wars, grouping

zad82nd

ALCON,

Outstanding questions remaining.

1. WWII Combat unit/units

2. Korean War Combat service units

3. Combat Jumps, who with

4. Vietnam Combat service-Why no 3rd award CIB??

5. DSC

Thank You

Jim

Since he is African-American he probably didn't serve in a airborne unit during WWII, as far as I know they were all segregated.

• 3 months later...

ALCON,

Listed a set of his greens yesterday with a reconstructed period ribbon rack based on his NARA documentation, on eBay.

Thanks

ALCON:

Pulled it.

It wasnt fair to the first 3 bidders, not having identified the ribbon rack as reconstructed in the overall description.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

ALCON:

A set of Morse's greens and a large binder of orders-documents and photos was sold/bought on here back in 2009/10.

If that person still has the binder and uniform please shoot me a PM.

Thank You

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

ALCON: Update-Morse's retirement DD214

Still looking for the buyer circa-2009 from the Forum that bought his binder of docs and orders.

Thanks

Jim

post-77236-0-16231700-1571320343.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

ALCON still searching, and in need of assistance with:

Outstanding questions still remaining.

1. WWII Combat unit/units?

2. Korean War Combat service units?

3. Combat Jumps, who with?

4. Vietnam Combat service-Why no 3rd award CIB??

5. DSC

6. Silver Star

Thank You

Jim

Rakkasan187

Jim,

One of the combat jumps could have been with the 187th in Korea. The 2nd Ranger company was attached to the 187th for Operation Tomahawk (This was post Sukchon (Sunchon)) and there was no jump, only practice for an upcoming mission... but they did participate (2nd Ranger Co) in the Musan Ni drop in March 51 as an attached unit to the 187th.

Best regards

Smitty 

Smitty,

Roger...just can't confirm that he deployed with the 2nd Ranger Co. He did attend the Ranger course with them Fall of 1950, then he disappears....

And yet every uniform in the grouping has a generic Ranger scroll on the right shoulder. ("Former Wartime Service).

Thanks Bud!

Reading through this a thought popped into my head of a group I had years back to a VN helicopter guy who received the DSC.  His records from NPRC came back stating "Medal of Honor" I was floored thinking I had something from a MOH recipient, but nothing came up on him because he wasn't a recipient. What I think occurred is the NPRC tech saw paperwork for a MOH recommendation in his file and assumed it was awarded.  I confirmed through newspaper accounts that he was indeed recommended for the MOH but received the DSC.  This might be the case with your guy - it'd be surprising that they would make this type of screwup, but you meet enough government employees and things like this become more believable as a possibility.

Kyle

GIKyle,

Thanks for the input. I'm not really sure what to think of this "grouping".  I have spent hours digging and researching with no clues or info coming to light confirming the Silver Star or the MOH. The data on his WWII discharge document makes no sense at all. 

1. What Infantry unit in the ETO/MTO had 9 campaigns, had African American Infantrymen etc....

2. Korea service- I've recently searched 2nd Ranger Co Morning reports from Dec 1950 - Spring 1951, and there's  o mention of a Calvin Morse.

Jim

2 hours ago, zad82nd said:

GIKyle,

Thanks for the input. I'm not really sure what to think of this "grouping".  I have spent hours digging and researching with no clues or info coming to light confirming the Silver Star or the DSC. The data on his WWII discharge document makes no sense at all. 

1. What Infantry unit in the ETO/MTO had 9 campaigns, had African American Infantrymen etc....

2. Korea service- I've recently searched 2nd Ranger Co Morning reports from Dec 1950 - Spring 1951, and there's  o mention of a Calvin Morse.

Jim