2nd Ranger Company, 35 year Vet, 3 Wars, grouping

zad82nd

SGM Calvin Morse's DD 214 from 1946.

Interesting information. I'm open for any relevant comments or observations.

Thanks

James

Love this group.

Could be some interesting research.

9 Campaign Credits,Twice wounded (Italy Belgium),Intelligence NCO....Shows departure for ETO 2 Feb 44 and arrival 20 Feb 44..Then leaving ETO 18 Sept 44 for USA.Wonder if a error or typo? Sent back wounded? Wonder how the Algeria French Morroco connection ties in.

His Foreign Service shows 3 years 10 months 25 Days but arrival and departure dates don't correspond.

What is his listed unit as it states 1449th SCU....Not familiar with SCU designation.(Service Command or Casual unit assigned to for discharge?)

Could be quite a story to unfold.Cant wait to see more unfold.

What makes you think he was in an AA unit in WW2?

He has 2 combat jump stars. WW2?

But his discharge says nothing about being jump qualified.

Could he have been 82nd A/B

Im thinking he may have become airborne qualified after the war/WW2.The combat jumps are for Korea ? (Im thinking)

I met a WW2 1st and 4th Ranger that was career military.He was a Ranger in Korea and did two combat jumps with his Ranger Company in Korea,Special Forces in Viet Nam wounded and DSC reciepiant.

Have a group to a career vet who was WW2 then went Airborne after the war.Officer,retired in the early 60s

His records are requested...

Manyunkman: SGM Morse is African American. Its a safe assumption that at least one of his Combat jumps occurred in Korea, if not both. The 2nd Ranger Company made one that I know of with the 187th: March 1951.

His 1946 DD 214 has some missing and confusing data to say the least.

Thanks for your comments!

James

riflegreen297

Have you tried reaching out to the 2nd Airborne Ranger Company on Facebook? They have a pretty extensive page. Too bad the RICA page is defunct. Really miss that page.

• 3 months later...

ALCON,

Reaching out to the wide spectrum of knowledge and experience on here for assistance. I've requested his records, and followed up on the request but nothing as of yet.

Does anyone have an accurate Silver Star database from WWII-ETO that might have Morse on it??

Finding nothing during WWII or Korea for a DSC on him, I assume it would be from Vietnam??

Any factual info would be a huge help. I'd like to donate one set of greens to the webmaster/FB page of the 2nd Ranger Co, but not without tying up the mysterious ends first.

Questionable info:

Birthdate is 1920 not 1927

Distinguished Service Cross recipient

Dates, Unit's and overall WWII-Korea-Vietnam Service

His name is listed on the Ranger Co web page, but not on the official Ranger Class/Co orders

The information carved on his grave stone had to be verified by a DD214/2-1/2A etc...Because he's buried in a Military Cemetery

Thank You

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Word of note... There was a soldier that DID lie and enlist in the 82nd at the age of 12-13 (his name escapes me). I read where he jumped with the 82nd (505th I believe) into Sicily and was wounded. His mother received word and made an official inquiry, as her son had run away, was only 12-13 and ineligible for the military. He was promptly rounded up and sent home.

After returning home, he ran off again and enlisted again, (I believe in either the Navy or the Merchant Marines). He was caught again and sent home. He reenlisted in or about 1946-47. This may very well be THAT guy. If I find the story, I'll add the name. I was really amazed at the exploits of this determined soldier.

So, stuff like this DID happen. My dear friend Gordon Cullings ran off and enlisted at 16. He jumped into Holland with the 508th.

I found the article, however I seem unable to attach the link. His name is/was Jim Schmidt. He enlisted at age 14, jumped with the 504th in Sicily. It's a great read on MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.

Word of note... There was a soldier that DID lie and enlist in the 82nd at the age of 12-13 (his name escapes me). I read where he jumped with the 82nd (505th I believe) into Sicily and was wounded. His mother received word and made an official inquiry, as her son had run away, was only 12-13 and ineligible for the military. He was promptly rounded up and sent home.

After returning home, he ran off again and enlisted again, (I believe in either the Navy or the Merchant Marines). He was caught again and sent home. He reenlisted in or about 1946-47. This may very well be THAT guy. If I find the story, I'll add the name. I was really amazed at the exploits of this determined soldier.

So, stuff like this DID happen. My dear friend Gordon Cullings ran off and enlisted at 16. He jumped into Holland with the 508th.

Tom,

Thanks bud, good info, but not likely. Morse is African American, and according to his DD214 I posted, he didn't serve in the 82nd during WWII. I received a partial NARA records packet the other day. It shows he went to Jump school in 1947.

Thanks

Jim

ALCON,

SGM Morse NARA records, well what they decided to send me. The DA photo isn't a very clear image on here, but the copy I received is clear enough to make out the two Combat jump stars on his jump wings, and the appropriate amount of ribbon rows are verified in his records as well.

Although a DSC is listed here, I haven't been able to find a listing for him on any of the online sources saying where and when he earned it.

Thanks

Jim

post-77236-0-61277200-1555086621.png