US Navy shoulder board dating

senhoragua

Does anyone know of a nice guide on dating of post-war US Navy shoulder boards?
I know that often boards were manufactured and awarded (or even passed down) for years (decades, like my NROTC shoulder boards).

I know that there's the left and right facing eagle button as a marker for pre and post-war boards; then there's the pesky questions on straight and bowed boards, snap buttons, cap screw and tubes (brass and plastic) construction, leather vs plastic straps...

Sorry I don't, but would be interested to review one. I mainly collect gray boards, however, which are very easy to date ;-) I do have some others, but look for flat boards. Not as interested in post-WWII examples.

I have a small collection of boards, mostly U.S. Maritime Service and U.S. Merchant Marine Academy - and they follow the same manufacturer specifications of the U.S. Navy; thus if I know one - the logic holds - I can figure out the other.
Gray boards - they are cloth-covered wood (balsa?). True boards.

http://ianewatts.org/usms-shoulder-boards/

http://ianewatts.org/usmma-shoulder-boards/

Yes i am happy to help. title , United States Navy Shoulder Straps and Shoulder Marks.

by John A. Stacey and Steve Sandlin , Pup ASMIC. this a must, lots on Gray, many color plates

Yes i am happy to help. title , United States Navy Shoulder Straps and Shoulder Marks.

by John A. Stacey and Steve Sandlin , Pup ASMIC. this a must, lots on Gray, many color plates

Apparently, never say never! :D

Here's the order form for it: https://www.asmic.org/newsletter/ASMIC_cat.pdf

Anyone have a copy to show what's inside?

Thank you warroom1. The book is ordered and it is on its way! eBay has a few images if you do a search (it is a hot seller. I am order number 2 or 2).

Anyone have a copy to show what's inside?

post-3982-0-25480200-1544222645.jpg

post-3982-0-28148600-1544222663.jpg

post-3982-0-53598200-1544222676.jpg

post-3982-0-02624100-1544222696.jpg

The book is in two sections, one on shoulder straps and one on shoulder boards. It basically goes year by year highlighting the changes to the regulations that affect those items. There is some information about the construction of shoulder boards but the focus is on the regulations and the insignia and devices, with a lot of photos of actual examples. There is a timeline summary a the end, some 200 footnote references, and a good index. John Stacey has also kept a list of errata and addenda which he mailed to me, which I assume will be inserted into later copies. I can't remember what I paid four or five years ago but it was well worth it!

Justin B.

Chances are I will never need this book, but am grateful that these gentlemen have gone through all the work to write it. I'm almost tempted to order a copy just for thanks for writing it. Not to mention some of those other titles.

Mikie