771st tank bn question

BILL THE PATCH

Don't think so Billy, Sawicki does not depict one, nor for when it was around in the 50s either, in the 50s it might of been a paper unit.

Well this bites, this was a earlier topic about a 771st Tk Bn grouping, maybe we could of seen if they had one, albeit an unauthorized locally approved on, but it all deleted photobuckets. Tried grabbing one of the urls, but no dice.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/175768-ww2-rare-771st-tank-battalion-groupingsweet/

Salvage Sailor

There is one in the ASMIC Armor DI catalog, Volume 3, page 43

Z771A1 771st Tank Bn - On a green shield bordered white a silver armadillo

Someone will probably have a photo to post.

001.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Interesting, does asmic say if it's WW2 or later?, Trying to restore a uniform would love to get my hands on a set. What issue was that asmic any idea? And thanks for the info

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

BILL THE PATCH

Interesting, does asmic say if it's WW2 or later?, Trying to restore a uniform would love to get my hands on a set. What issue was that asmic any idea? And thanks for the info

I see it's asmic di catalog which I don't have.

BILL THE PATCH

I was already thinking about tredhed2, i hope he's See's this thread to weigh in.

I was looking on the ASMIC page to see if there is an adoption date, none listed as we see.

• 1 month later...

Sorry Kevin, it was not an ommision by Sawicki.

When you see a "Z" as the first letter in an ASMIC insignia code, that means a "fantasy piece". Those were unofficial insignia made from drawings, signs, or hallucinations, for the veteran trade (ha ha), or a "study group (snicker snicker) - or mostly for the unknowing collector market. Bingo. They were NEVER worn by the unit. When you look at the HMs for the first two entries, both were made by Aresta of Hawaii (CWA - his initials I forget what the CLE is) and AOH)/T (Aresta of Hawaii made in Taiwan).

You'll see many DIs for sale by dealers who mention the Aresta HMs, but expect YOU to know they are selling fantasy pieces.

The catalog reference to the 771st Tank Bn "DI" shows it was made by Aresta in Taiwan. To date, there is NO known DI for either the WW II 771st Tank Bn or the post WW II Tank Bn. Immediate post WW II, it became the 71st Constab Sq, with a killer (but rare and unauthorized DI), but it was not used by the 771st Tank Bn subsequent to redesignation.

Sorry Kevin, it was not an ommision by Sawicki.

When you see a "Z" as the first letter in an ASMIC insignia code, that means a "fantasy piece". Those were unofficial insignia made from drawings, signs, or hallucinations, for the veteran trade (ha ha), or a "study group (snicker snicker) - or mostly for the unknowing collector market. Bingo. They were NEVER worn by the unit. When you look at the HMs for the first two entries, both were made by Aresta of Hawaii (CWA - his initials I forget what the CLE is) and AOH)/T (Aresta of Hawaii made in Taiwan).

You'll see many DIs for sale by dealers who mention the Aresta HMs, but expect YOU to know they are selling fantasy pieces.

The catalog reference to the 771st Tank Bn "DI" shows it was made by Aresta in Taiwan. To date, there is NO known DI for either the WW II 771st Tank Bn or the post WW II Tank Bn. Immediate post WW II, it became the 71st Constab Sq, with a killer (but rare and unauthorized DI), but it was not used by the 771st Tank Bn subsequent to redesignation.

Thanks for the excellent clarification tred.

Out of curiosity, does this mean that Soldiers of the 771st (and others without a specific unit DUI) wore nothing at all, or did they perhaps wear a higher echelon’s DUI?

With a Separate Tank Battalion. They wore none at all. With Separate Tank Battalions before overseas and during the occupation period, the wore this patch. the Armored Forces.

post-34986-0-39662300-1547609538.jpg

But they might in rarer occasions wear a divisional patch, that really if they were attached a long time to the division, as for the DIs, maybe a PTC crest of the above linked patch.

In example, this vet, a Bataan Death March survivor, he was a member of the non divisional separate 192nd Tank Battalion, and opted to wear these Armored Forces PTC, but not everyone did so that served in separate Tk Bn's, they usually wore no DI's.

post-34986-0-17435400-1370316458.jpg

I know that some separate tank battalions had their own DUI (like the famous 761st). Just seems that others would wear a Division or Corps DUI if assigned / attached at that kevel. Problem is that some went from one Division to another I suppose.

BILL THE PATCH

Sometimes a tank guy would have a divisional patch sewn on lower sleeve. I have a 664td bn Ike with a 70th div on left sleeve, td patch on right and 8th div on lower left sleeve. The 664th was attached to the 8th div alot. He felt some sought of kinship I guess with that until.

I know that some separate tank battalions had their own DUI (like the famous 761st). Just seems that others would wear a Division or Corps DUI if assigned / attached at that kevel. Problem is that some went from one Division to another I suppose.

Divisions (Except for the National Guard Divisions and around four other divisions )and Corps, or Armies for that matter didn't have duly authorized DIs in WWII, so they would be wearing some that, unless they choose to wear a patch type crest of a division, or corps, or an army on their uniform somewhere, highly unlikely that they would wear a infantry regiment DI, as they really were not permimnly assigned to any one division for long, that's in most cases, expetions to this would be the tank battalions attached t say the 1st and 3rd Infantry Divisions, they were with theae division a long time, the attached Tank Destroyer Battalions too, photos do show in example these units arttacjed to the 3rd Inf Div wearing the 3rd Inf Div patch, rather than the Armored Forces Triangle.

Here's an example, a TD man in this case of the 601st TD Bn, post war at discharge, note he wears both the 3rd Inf Div patch, and it's Path Type Crests, the 601st TD was attached a long time to the 3rd Inf Div, that in essence it became a de facto part of the division.

post-34986-0-80918300-1446950773.jpg

• 7 months later...

CLE = class "E" piece

CLE is found on the backs of some Aresta made pieces

depending on which company in Taiwan received the order

other hallmarks found on Aresta pieces:

AOH = Aresta of Hawaii

AOH T = Aresta of Hawaii Taiwan

CWA = Charles W. Aresta

• 4 weeks later...

Would you have the picture of the 772nd tank battalion di? Ive been looking for a picture of it for a very long time. Thank you

To date, there has never been any made, not unauthorized, not for vets, not as a fake or fantasy piece, nothing.

If anyone told you there was one, for any reason, they are mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/6/2018 at 7:26 PM, patches said:

Well this bites, this was a earlier topic about a 771st Tk Bn grouping, maybe we could of seen if they had one, albeit an unauthorized locally approved on, but it all deleted photobuckets. Tried grabbing one of the urls, but no dice.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/175768-ww2-rare-771st-tank-battalion-groupingsweet/

As everyone notices now after the huge format change, Photobucketed Images are now visible again, don't know why LOL, but you can view them, And as you see when you click link, no DIs are with this Grouping.