Unit Marked Canteen

BSRmilitaria

Hi guys,

I recently came across this US WWII Canteen cover with a strange unit marking. From what I could find online the only similar unit insignia was a USMC Honorable Discharge Diamond. Do any of you guys recognize what this might have come from?

Thank you!

William

post-170153-0-36790700-1544043223_thumb.jpeg

There are loads of topics on the forum here, that discuss unit / UNIS / tactical markings in detail.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. After searching for white diamond - I was not able to find anything related specifically to this insignia. Is it better for me to post this question in a different section of the forum?

Thanks again!

William

The 501st PIR used a white diamond on their helmets. Maybe a paratrooper painted it on for some reason? Just a possibility.

Jacob

The 501st PIR used a white diamond on their helmets. Maybe a paratrooper painted it on for some reason? Just a possibility.

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the information! My initial thought was actually regarding the 501st, however I thought their diamonds were typically black.

Great to know that these were painted white during WWII.

Take care,

William

stealthytyler

There is a helmet that was recently posted on here with a similar mark on the inside of the liner. It had the letter H in the middle I think. The original owner was a Navy surgeon attached to a Marine Aviation Wing during WWII. Hope that helps....

There is a helmet that was recently posted on here with a similar mark on the inside of the liner. It had the letter H in the middle I think. The original owner was a Navy surgeon attached to a Marine Aviation Wing during WWII. Hope that helps....

Thank you very much for providing this link! I can see the resemblance between these two markings.

Take care,

William

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help you decipher the symbol but coincidentally I have this trench art belt buckle in my collection with a similar design. This was a random pickup at a gunshow. Unfortunately, no history attached to it.

Kim

post-60-0-85422700-1545230477_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-52043400-1545230487_thumb.jpg