Infantry hat pins

Plainsrunner

I'm having trouble nailing down date ranges for a hat pin I found. Various sites on Facebook and the internet are all over the place with these in terms of date. I had someone tell me post-WW1, I've had some tell me WW1, and I've also found identical pins being sold from several vintage military sites online as 'Spanish American War'.

Can you folks help me out? :)

ppP5f24.jpg

OzwAxzp.jpg

world war I nerd

Presuming that cap badge once had a dull bronze finish, it likely hails from one of the following Army enlisted men's cap badge specifications:

Enlisted Men's Cap Badges, Specification No. 594, adopted on January 23, 1903

Enlisted Men's Cap Badges, Specification No. 754, adopted on May 22, 1905

Enlisted Men's Cap Badges, Specification No. 784, adopted on December 14, 1905

Enlisted Men's Cap Badges, Specification No. 838, adopted on October 20, 1906

Enlisted Men's Cap Badges, Specification No. 1075, adopted on August 12, 1910

The dull bronze finish 'cut-out' style branch of service cap badges for enlisted men were worn on the olive drab wool and khaki cotton service caps from 1903 until the various branch of service insignia (infantry, artillery, cavalry, engineer, etc.) were replaced by a round cap badge bearing the seal of the United States that was to be worn by all branches of the service after it was adopted on September 17, 1917.

I'm no expert on the various cap badges worn during this period, but I believe that most of the above specification changes made between 1903 and 1910 had something to do with the overall width of the badges and possibly the font style that was used for the company letters and regimental numbers that were placed above and below the branch of service emblems.

Wow! Two others answered while I was typing . I need to learn how to type faster!