Nylon ALICE M1 Garand ammo pouches

milsurp_scout_14

milsurp_scout_14

I picked up these four pouches at a gunshow this weekend. Guy I bought them from was also selling several Garands, and said these ammo pouches were some sort of special production run for Vietnam, but wasn't sure by who. They fit En Bloc clips perfectly, with inner retention straps. These scream being newer than Vietnam era to me (and definitely NOT issue), but I can't seem to find out who made them--Rothco, Atlantco, or other random 'surplus gear' maker. Anyone know what these were from?

post-153911-0-36623700-1543965518_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-50075000-1543965530_thumb.jpg

milsurp_scout_14

Pics making the nylon look odd---it's the exact same stuff that issue ALICE is made of. Here's back view, and loaded.

post-153911-0-54905800-1543965604_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-75537000-1543965611_thumb.jpg

milsurp_scout_14

All snaps are DOT brand. Inner retention straps use the small snaps, and outer flaps have the large snaps (say that 3 times fast!)

post-153911-0-52621400-1543965721_thumb.jpg

Question, why would one need a retaining strap for enblock clip when there is a flap cover??? Retaining straps were used with cartridge belts for stripper clips for 03s and Eddystones, two stripper clips to a pouch, strap held second one secure after first was used.

Question, why would one need a retaining strap for enblock clip when there is a flap cover??? Retaining straps were used with cartridge belts for stripper clips for 03s and Eddystones, two stripper clips to a pouch, strap held second one secure after first was used.

Retaining straps were continued with the M1 Garand belts. While the enbloc does fit quite snugly in the pouch, it does move around a little bit. With the retaining strap, that enbloc is going nowhere.

milsup, can you actually button the retention straps with the enblocs in there or are the straps too short? I'm thinking they could possibly be carbine mag pouches.

Check out 44cartridge belts, no retaining straps. Many earlier cartridge belts had retaining straps cut out by GIs as they got in the way. using M-1s. Marvin the Arvin used late war, no retaining strap cartridge belts. One dosent want an unneeded strap in the way.

milsurp_scout_14

McDermut, Yes those retaining straps do button (tightly) over top of the En blocs. My guess is whoever made them just copied that feature from the old cartridge belts, as most of the postwar Korean & 60's Garand belts seem to still have that feature. I'll have to try a carbine mag and see if those fit.

• 3 years later...
EchoProductions

I suspect this is the work of FMCO. They went defunct a while back. They made many interesting commercial ALICE pieces. like AK Drum mag pouches, dump pouches, frag pouches, large AR pouches and many more. this looks like one of their concoctions.

• 1 month later...

Could also be for Foreign Mil Aid.

I remember seeing El Salvadoran G.I.'s with a 4-5 cell Nylon pouch for 30 rd Carbine mags that looked like the thompson pouch