RAF Type C Flight Helmet

dunit35

I recently picked up this Type C flight helmet and Mark VIII goggles from Griffin Militaria. I am slowly studying WWII era flight helmets and couldnt resist adding this to my collection. As you can see, its named to G. D. Schanck on the front of the helmet, inside the helmet, and the back of the goggles strap. Mr. Griffin states it belonged to Garrett D Schanck who was a P47 fighter pilot of The 367th fighter Squadron. Mr. Griffin states Mr. Schanck flew in 93 combat missions in the ETO. I havent been able to find anything on Mr. Schanck other than whats on the WWII Army enlistment website. But it says he was born in 1932 and enlisted in 1942 so obviously theres a typo. I guess I did find that he was a part of the 358th Fighter Group.

Anyways here are the photographs. Looks to be in good shape.

post-200443-0-65994300-1543899042.jpeg

post-200443-0-79683000-1543899378.jpeg

post-200443-0-36007600-1543899394.jpeg

post-200443-0-75544900-1543899402.jpeg

Great looking helmet. How is the name tag applied to the helmet, it doesn't appear to be sown on? If you have a chance could you post some closer photos of the ear cups. Great setup and a hard to find flight helmet. Thanks, Gregg

Nice! from what I understand the RAF type C was occasionally issued to USAAF and the US guys even desired and preferred them. I've seen quite a few photos of USAAF wearing them. sometimes they had to tape up the receiver cups to keep the US receivers from falling out as they weren't designed for this specific helmet's cups.

Great looking helmet. How is the name tag applied to the helmet, it doesn't appear to be sown on? If you have a chance could you post some closer photos of the ear cups. Great setup and a hard to find flight helmet. Thanks, Gregg

I didn't notice this post. Helmet is at home so I'll check the tag when I get home. I'll try to get some closer ear cup photos. It took me a while just to figure out how to post those pictures from my iPhone.

The ear cups look and feel to be taped on. The front name tag is glued on.

it was common to wrap tape around the receiver cups to keep the U.S. ANB-H-1 and R-14 receivers from falling out as they weren't designed to go into the RAF cups.

Thank you for the additional photos. I agree, it's definitely tape and well done. I would guess that the name tag was glued on post war based on the lack of wear when compared to the helmet. You did well on this one, this is a solid example of an AAF pilot using British flight kit. Thanks again, Gregg

Thank you for the additional photos. I agree, it's definitely tape and well done. I would guess that the name tag was glued on post war based on the lack of wear when compared to the helmet. You did well on this one, this is a solid example of an AAF pilot using British flight kit. Thanks again, Gregg

it was common to wrap tape around the receiver cups to keep the U.S. ANB-H-1 and R-14 receivers from falling out as they weren't designed to go into the RAF cups.

Thanks. I havent seen one with that name tag on the front. I also assumed he did it post war. Definitely doesnt take anything away from it.

I didnt plan on buying anything but came across it. Its easily my favorite piece I own so far.

Really nice helmet! Im very envious and sorry I missed it on the Griffin website ??. Just for comparison, heres one I recently picked up on eBay, very similar with the tape over the earpieces.

This is one of my favourite pieces also!

Rick

post-9167-0-73204700-1544201087.jpeg

post-9167-0-20207900-1544201094.jpeg

These rarely come available and to find one on eBay has to just as rare. Nice find and thank both of you for posting these great flight helmets. Gregg

• 2 weeks later...

Im a huge fan of a Type Cs, in particular USAAF Type Cs. I have 11 total, with 4 being USAAF. Two are taped. They very much favored by ETO US pilots. Look at most of the well known images of 8th AF aces and they are wearing Type Cs. Thanks for sharing yours

Two of my USAAF Type Cs. One is taped

post-68384-0-43344200-1545140399_thumb.jpeg

post-68384-0-46144900-1545140429_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I havent seen one with that name tag on the front. I also assumed he did it post war. Definitely doesnt take anything away from it.

I didnt plan on buying anything but came across it. Its easily my favorite piece I own so far.

Here is a photo with a name tag on the helmet... so dunit35's helmet tag may not have been applied post war

post-205679-0-18885100-1546215820_thumb.jpg

Would the nametag applied to the brow be the same type as those applied to A-2 Flight Jackets?

my opinion is yes. in the photo above it seems to be the same size and thickness as those used on the A-2 jackets. you can see he has one on his jacket as well and it is identical to the one on his flight cap

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add my recent SOS find to this discussion as it also has the leather nameplate attached to the brow of the flight helmet, the difference being that mine is an A-11 not a C type.

post-9167-0-53470400-1551218894.jpeg

post-9167-0-18498100-1551218902.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Fellow member Pegasus6 at Renew History was able to get into contact with Mr. Schancks son on FB. His son provided a photograph of his father wearing this exact helmet on his P47. Pretty awesome to add to the helmet.

post-200443-0-29913600-1565203369.jpeg

post-200443-0-92467700-1565203439.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...