PHOTO: Winter Overcoat (Can you ID?)

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

This press photo, taken in March of 1917, is of a New York National Guardsman guarding New York City's water supply.

I can ID all of his clothing and equipment, except the very heavy overcoat that he is wearing.

The coat looks military grade and may it be a type of heavy overcoat that was issued by the U.S. Army, prior to WW I, for wear in extreme climates such as Alaska and possibly the northern states.

Has anybody ever seen this type of coat before or hazard a guess as to its origin?

Thanks to all for looking … World War I Nerd

post-5143-0-35205500-1543788527_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Close up of the head and shoulders, showing the coat's sheepskin lined collar.

The Guardsman's headgear is a 1907 Winter Field Cap and his wool gloves are likely the pre-WW I 1916 pattern.

post-5143-0-76331200-1543788692_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Detail showing the coat's pocket flaps, as well as a 1910 Rimless Eagle Snap Rifle Cartridge Belt from which a 1903 Bayonet Scabbard is suspended.

post-5143-0-18571700-1543788711_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Finally, beneath the lower edge of the heavy overcoat is the bottom of a regulation 1913 (or earlier pattern) Overcoat. Encasing his feet is a pair of 1907 Winter Overshoes.

This guy is most definitely dressed for extremely cold temperatures!

Please let me know if you know what this coat might be … Thanks again.

post-5143-0-32085200-1543788920_thumb.jpg

This is very similar to a shorter coat utilized by 1st Provisional Brigade Marines in Iceland just prior to our entry to WW2. Identical fur collar, leather pocket trim, khaki color... The Navy had a identical pattern short coat with a darker brown fur collar and made of a green/grey oilcloth.

world war I nerd

Thanks Mr. Weitkamp. Although I have no proof, I have a hunch that this type of coat was used by the Army (and possibly the Marines & Navy) prior to WW I.

It's really tough finding information, and just about impossible to find images of the Army's early Arctic/extreme cold weather clothing.

Nerd:

Is this the same type of coat?

post-949-0-51626100-1543939106.jpg

The length looks to be about right. It was sold by AGM in 2005 as part of a Siberian Expedition grouping. Here is what Jeff wrote about it:

Group features one of the sheepskin lined khaki twill overcoats with fleece shawl collar, double-breasted front closure, slanted upper side pockets, inset straight skirt pockets with exterior flaps, and waistbelt of the same khaki material with black painted frame buckle. The rear of the collar shows some wear and seam separation in the fleece and a bit of fur loss around the edge, but nothing detractive. There are several varieties of these overcoats visible in photos of US troops in Siberia...

The coat in your photo seems extremely long, though maybe too big for the wearer, as well.

John

world war I nerd

John, I'm not sure. When I first saw this photo, I thought that maybe it was the sheepskin lined coat, but I dismissed that idea, because, without comparing them, the coat in the photo didn't look the same to me.

I need to compare the images I have of the sheepskin coat with the posted photo to see how they compare.

world war I nerd

John, you hit the nail on the head.

The overcoat worn by the New York guardsman is in fact, the same heavy Sheepskin Overcoat that was worn by the men who served in the American Northern Russia Expeditionary Force.

Here's a side by side comparison … Same collar - same buttons - same leather reinforced pockets - the only real difference is the in the length of the two coats. Otherwise, they appear to be identical as far as I can see.

post-5143-0-17825300-1544302323_thumb.jpg

post-5143-0-25081700-1544302324_thumb.jpg