G.I. Collectors Guide VOLUME 2

jgawne

I started a new threat specific to this volume as I just got off the phone with the importer.

The book IS NOW printed. The English edition is going from Italy to Britain, and should be on a ship in about 1.5 weeks. It then takes 2-3 weeks ot get to the USA.

Assuming that custos does not hold up the container thinking there is a bomb in it, we should expcet Casemate to get the book in their hands in 4-5 weeks from today. To get it FASTEST you can pre order it from Casemate publishing and it will go out the same day they receive it.

If you want the big Amazon discount expect it to ship from Amazon roughly 10 days AFTER it gets to the Casemate.

Amazon generally does not think these thgins will sell much unless they get pre orders, so if you want to get it as fast as possible in the USA with the Amazon discount put in a pre order within the next 2 weeks or so. That way the Amazon computer will trigger there is advance interest and they will order enough for the pre-orders and a few more, rather than just 5-10 to test the sales.

Of course if you buy from Amazon you will save a few bucks, but help put small book dealers out of business, and they will no longer come to shows allowing you to browse books you are not sure you want to buy.

And that is the facts from the horses mouth.

Thanks for the heads up. I know of at least a dozen folks in my re-enacting group alone who have pre-ordered that book through Amazon already.

Of course if you buy from Amazon you will save a few bucks, but help put small book dealers out of business, and they will no longer come to shows allowing you to browse books you are not sure you want to buy.
No offense Jon, but I've never seen them show up anywhere I was at and I used to go to events in the Northeast when I still lived on the "right coast". I get that they're buddies of yours and I agree that we should support the folks who support the hobby, but it's hard to pull on the old heart strings when the majority of us have unlikely ever seen them in person anywhere.

I'm looking forward to this second volume, thanks for the heads-up. Now if we could only get a volume two of something similar to "Spearheading D-Day" ;)

I'm looking forward to this second volume, thanks for the heads-up. Now if we could only get a volume two of something similar to "Spearheading D-Day" ;)

Well there is- it's on the Brittany Campaign... Or you can write to H+C and ask them to kindly publish one.

and Lee, yes, there used to a lot of book sellers at shows, (including me) and it turned into a free browse for people to decide if they were going to order it from Amazon. so most just stopped. I think there is still one guy up this way that does, but he shrink wraps his books now to prevent it.

Well there is- it's on the Brittany Campaign... Or you can write to H+C and ask them to kindly publish one.

Is H+C dragging their feet on publishing this one?

and Lee, yes, there used to a lot of book sellers at shows, (including me) and it turned into a free browse for people to decide if they were going to order it from Amazon. so most just stopped. I think there is still one guy up this way that does, but he shrink wraps his books now to prevent it.

I still go to a few shows here in the northeast, springfield Ma.and marlboro Ma. shows for instance, there still are a few book sellers or they could be the same dealer, sometimes the books are shrinkwrapped, sometimes not, being a consumer i would rather flip through a book costing me $50-$100, if its all wrapped up I might not look and get hooked on whats inside.....sometimes I buy from a local guy at shows and sometimes I buy on amazon or ebay, but thats a chance the dealers should take and show off the books they have in person, maybe keep one book unwrapped so serious buyers can have a peek, I think they are scaring away business to keep them all under wraps, but I know what you are saying too, but still they should keep it available for viewing otherwise they may lose potential customers........mike

yes, there used to a lot of book sellers at shows, (including me) and it turned into a free browse for people to decide if they were going to order it from Amazon. so most just stopped. I think there is still one guy up this way that does, but he shrink wraps his books now to prevent it.
Okay, I can see both sides of this. As a seller, you don't want folks to browse then never buy. But the buyer sure as heck doesn't want to plunk down more than fifty bucks on a book they never get to see. I've gotten several reference books over the years that I had to order then didn't like them once they arrived.
sometimes I buy from a local guy at shows and sometimes I buy on amazon or ebay, but thats a chance the dealers should take and show off the books they have in person, maybe keep one book unwrapped so serious buyers can have a peek, I think they are scaring away business to keep them all under wraps, but I know what you are saying too, but still they should keep it available for viewing otherwise they may lose potential customers
Funny how many sellers don't see it that way? At a recent model RR show I found a (non-military related) book I was wanting to see maybe purchase and asked the guy if I could see what it looked like past the plastic. He said no. I replied, "that's a shame because I would have bought it right now if it was what I was looking for but I don't spent large amounts on books sight-unseen." Another vendor at the other end had of the show and that guy opened the plastic. I thumbed through it, handed him the $55 for it and was sure to walk by the other vendor and show him that indeed I would have bought his if he'd let me see past the cover.

See, this is why I get depressed. The book has been out and is already out of print.

Ed Hamilton ended up with the last copies he was sellign cheap (sadly due ot a screw up casue I was supposed ot get them).

I think there might be a copy at this bookshop where I guy I know works. think.gif

I will get him, to have a look today. :D

Thanks! Let me know if you find it and we can work something out! thumbsup.gif

Sad that publishers are so quick to take great collectors guides out of print so fast. mad.gif

Johan Willaert

Well, my English version of the GICG II arrived today. Just unwrapped it and it looks fantastic at first sight.
Won't be bored with this set tonight, I guess....

Johan Willaert

I've just spent over 2 hours going thru the book, looking at many wonderful items. And I haven't seen it all...

This is not just a reprint of the 1st edition. It has loads of additional items, next to variations of items which were described in the first book.

There are many British Made (and made in other Nations) examples of items that were in volume 1. Whenever appropriate the captions in this book refer to volume 1, indicating the page of the first book. When browsing thru this one, having volume 1 within reach is very handy.

Of course there are many things which have been shown in other books, but here they are grouped together on nice glossy paper filled with color pictures...

The new items in this volume include especially: Draft, Induction and Training, WAC, additional Med Dept and Mountain gear (from the extensive collection of fellow Belgian Laurent M), a lot of Chaplain gear (from our own member?) and much more...

Major additions to Uniforms & Equipment were added...

Here's a list of the different chapters to give you an idea....

Introduction: Organization of Army Divisions in 1944

1: The Wartime Draft

2: The Training Camps

3: Insignia & Decorations

4: Uniforms

5: Individual Equipment

6: Small Arms & Crew Served Weapons

7: Camp Life

8: Armored Troops

9: AB Troops

10: Mountain Troops (including FSSF)

11: Female Personnel

12: MP

13: Army Rations

14: Engineer Equipment

15: Army Signals

16: Protection against Gas Attacks

17: Medical Dept

18: Army Chaplains

19: Army Publications & Other Printed Material

20: Sports & Recreation

21: Personal Items

22: American POW

23: Trophies & Souvenirs

24: Homecoming & Discharge

Abbreviations

All in all over 270 pages of US WW2 stuff!!!!!

Young collectors have no idea what luxury it is to have books like these......

Well, my English version of the GICG II arrived today. Just unwrapped it and it looks fantastic at first sight.

Won't be bored with this set tonight, I guess....

If I wasn't already jealous of you, I sure am now! Man I'd love to have a copy of that!

I've just spent over 2 hours going thru the book, looking at many wonderful items. And I haven't seen it all...

(information clipped)

All in all over 270 pages of US WW2 stuff!!!!!

Young collectors have no idea what luxury it is to have books like these......

And how many feel put out because they can't find it on-line for free?!

If you want the big Amazon discount expect it to ship from Amazon roughly 10 days AFTER it gets to the Casemate.

Amazon generally does not think these thgins will sell much unless they get pre orders, so if you want to get it as fast as possible in the USA with the Amazon discount put in a pre order within the next 2 weeks or so. That way the Amazon computer will trigger there is advance interest and they will order enough for the pre-orders and a few more, rather than just 5-10 to test the sales.

Just a note on this topic: AGM (that's me) sold the original GI Collector's Guide from Casemate, and we will do the same with this new edition. I have not yet received a confirmation of my cost on the book, though I am receiving nearly an entire pallet of them as soon as they hit the dock and clear customs. If there is any way at all to do it, I will be sure that our price is competitive with Amazon. My book dealer friends will be angry with me for this, but I would rather sell 600 copies and make $5 or $10 per book, than sell 50 copies and make $30 per book. Just seems like good sense.

Also FYI - we just invested in a shrink-wrap machine and special boxes for this and the other new Casemate title (The GI Collector's Guide for the German soldier). This way we can shrink the book to a larger piece of pasteboard that fits snugly in the book box, and make sure that the customer receives his book in the best condition possible. We learned a long time ago that the shipping services (Post Office, UPS, etc.) can really beat up on books if you don't take proper precautions.

a lot of Chaplain gear (from our own member?)

I just preached on how much humility takes place during the Christmas story....Well, yes most of the chaplain items are mine...But Henry Paul Enjames has been very awesome to serve with. I've been blessed to have gotten to know him. While I was in Iraq, when one Christmas present got lost in the mail, he sent me another one...containing the finest French food a GI could have. Then the old parcel showed up after several months. Well, I ate that one too (I did share).

Again, Henri-Paul, you are the Man!!!

Thank you,

Johan Willaert
If I wasn't already jealous of you, I sure am now!

I take that as a compliment, Lee!

And how many feel put out because they can't find it on-line for free?!

They just have to learn that it's not all free!

I just preached on how much humility takes place during the Christmas story....Well, yes most of the chaplain items are mine...But Henry Paul Enjames has been very awesome to serve with. I've been blessed to have gotten to know him. While I was in Iraq, when one Christmas present got lost in the mail, he sent me another one...containing the finest French food a GI could have. Then the old parcel showed up after several months. Well, I ate that one too (I did share).

Again, Henri-Paul, you are the Man!!!

Thank you,

To date, I can't think of anyone more knowledgable on the subject of the history of Chaplains than you. I am now looking even more forward to attaining my copy of this fine book!

Jeff, thanks for the info on your carrying the books too, once they arrive.

I would prefer to buy from you, a friend and a fellow collector, than from Amazon!

Incidentally, I also have the first volume - I had bought it at a local Barnes & Noble of all places, right after it came out. I wonder if they will be carrying this one too???

Jeff, please send out a mass emailing when you get the books!!

MW

Incidentally, I also have the first volume - I had bought it at a local Barnes & Noble of all places, right after it came out.
I got mine that way as well, I'm pretty sure in the Spring of 2004. I'd hit a show out of town where a few big name dealers in the West showed up and none had it as it'd just come out (I was tricked at one, who had brought several copies to the show but sold them all to a fellow dealer before he even got to the show). Heading home, I stopped at a Local B&N and there it was! It was the first edition, the one that has the page of language guides showing the postwar one with the DoD insignia on it (I'm told that it was changed quickly and those editions are tough to find now).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for my Volume Two to arrive, I can't wait to see the new items that Henri-Paul has included. Thanks for the review of the its contents Johan. Out of interest, how many pages has he dedicated to the Medical Department in this edition?

Thanks,

Ben

Casemate imports them to the US and tries very hard to get them into B+M shops like B+N. The problem is that most major book store buyers know little of their subject and tend to buy hundreds of the latest BIG PUBLISHER book, but only a handfun of other stuff.

Then (if you are lucky) send one to a few stores to see what happens. If you are not lucky (like I was once) they will send out 20 copies to 20 stores, and forget the rest sitting in the warehouse.

Any book store can order H+C books thorugh their distributor- they are all set yp to do so, but few people will take the time to order something when they can get it from Amazon in the same time.