2nd chemical mortar, 45th Infantry division Ike jacket

all1knew

Hello all,

Picked this one up recently. It is named. Was wondering what everyone thought of the theater-made patch which looks lovely to me!

William Kramer

post-83697-0-11366500-1543623841.png

Here is his good conduct medal. Weren't the regulations and award criteria during wartime different than peacetime? I think his medal here indicates 4 years of service rather than 9 because it is a wartime configuration, correct?

post-83697-0-75592000-1543624318.png

Its pretty cool, Italian made my guess...

I was always under the impression that it was 4 years regardless. So I'm thinking yours would indicate 8 years good conduct. ?

BILL THE PATCH

Beautiful patch, nice pickup. Can we see the 45th? Is it is od bdr, wool.?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I was always under the impression that it was 4 years regardless. So I'm thinking yours would indicate 8 years good conduct. ?

well, not according to this document from the War Department. If I'm reading this correctly the first year would get the medal and then the bronze bar with two knots would be for three additional years of service.

post-83697-0-50909400-1543625620_thumb.jpg

HeritageMilitariaOrlando

Yes, you are correct. The decoration itself would be awarded for 1 year of service and the 2nd award (Clasp and 2 knots) would be for the subsequent 3 years of service. The ribbon and clasp pictured here would indicate 4 years of service. Great looking jacket you have there.

well, not according to this document from the War Department. If I'm reading this correctly the first year would get the medal and then the bronze bar with two knots would be for three additional years of service.

Since we see he came in during the war, February 1943 and not like 1937, we would think it was a misunderstanding/misinterpretation of the regs on his part, with him thinking a loop for each year of service. Also if he was in since 1937 he should have 3 Service Stripes on. One more thing, it seems we see the ribbon for the American Defense Medal, he should have that one as he was not in the re Pearl Harbor Day Army.

HeritageMilitariaOrlando

Since we see he came in during the war, February 1943 and not like 1937, we would think it was a misunderstanding/misinterpretation of the regs on his part, with him thinking a loop for each year of service. Also if he was in since 1937 he should have 3 Service Stripes on. One more thing, it seems we see the ribbon for the American Defense Medal, he should have that one as he was not in the re Pearl Harbor Day Army.

My assumption is he likely mixed up the American Campaign and American Defense ribbons. He would only need 1 service stripe for the GCM and clasp to make sense. I think the uniform is fine as is. I would buy it.

My assumption is he likely mixed up the American Campaign and American Defense ribbons. He would only need 1 service stripe for the GCM and clasp to make sense. I think the uniform is fine as is. I would buy it.

Yes agreed, IKE is A OK.

That's possible with the ribbons, the loops, figure he misinterpreted that as well. The French Rope, trying to find more on that, was it awared to this unit's predecessor the 1st Gas Regiment in WWI? This would be two awards of the Croix de Guerre w/Palm, unless I blew it, can't seem to find anything on that. In WWII this unit was not awarded a Croix de Guerre no less two, the 45th Infantry Division was, here units of the division were awarded one CdG w/Palm for actions at Acquafondata Italy in early 1944, the French Colonial Army was apparently involved in this battle too, thus the award, but this would not be fit the criteria for the Rope.

HeritageMilitariaOrlando

Yes agreed, IKE is A OK.

That's possible with the ribbons, the loops, figure he misinterpreted that as well. The French Rope, trying to find more on that, was it awared to this unit's predecessor the 1st Gas Regiment in WWI? This would be two awards of the Croix de Guerre w/Palm, unless I blew it, can't seem to find anything on that. In WWII this unit was not awarded a Croix de Guerre no less two, the 45th Infantry Division was, here units of the division were awarded one CdG w/Palm for actions at Acquafondata Italy in early 1944, the French Colonial Army was apparently involved in this battle too, thus the award, but this would not be fit the criteria for the Rope.

I don't believe the loops are misrepresented. He only has the 2nd award clasp which is for 3 years on top of the ribbon itself for the 1 year. It's likely he served his 4 years during the war and subsequent occupation. I can't speak much to the rope but one could assume you may be right about it being for his unit's WW1 service.

• 1 month later...