Semaphore Flag Kit

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

I picked up this flag set fairly cheap a few years ago. It is outside my area of interest but a neat set. Other than the markings shown in the photos there are no other maker or date markings. If anyone has any ideas or additional info please post it.

post-5-1229017703.jpg

post-5-1229017710.jpg

post-5-1229017716.jpg

Looks to be WW I era issue. We have a set on our WW I M1917 Maching Gun Cart display. How would you like to be the guy waving these around under fire!

BKW

craig_pickrall

Thanks for the comments.

I saw a forum member has one listed on ebay. It is a very close match to mine except his is marked inside the flap RUSSELL and JAN, 1918. That hardware does look Brit style but the one on ebay has the same style and it is US made.

Thanks for the comments.

I saw a forum member has one listed on ebay. It is a very close match to mine except his is marked inside the flap RUSSELL and JAN, 1918. That hardware does look Brit style but the one on ebay has the same style and it is US made.

And we are going to see the value Craig as it is sitting at 0.99 at the moment ermm.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320323026488

Your cover is really clean, after reading the other post I am thinking that there are not to many people out there with an M.G. cart that need a flag set :lol: .. Mabey it will do something before it closes ;)

craig_pickrall

I don't think they are worth much at best. I bought mine from someone closing down a cubical at an antique mall. I think it was listed at $5 and it was 60% off that so I've got like $2 in it. This was 2 or 3 years ago. They are neat looking though and like it was said earlier the operator had to be gutsy to stand up under fire and wave 2 red and white flags around. Nothing like calling attention to yourself.

I just bought a mint flag kit at a gun show this past Sunday. I paied $25. It contains four flags. The flags in mine look like the ones on the signal corps insignia. The are white with red squars in the middle and the other set in the reverse. It contains two wood handels and four metal ones. No date or maker marks have been found yet. I have not had the time to closely examine it yet.

craig_pickrall

Frankie that is a nice looking case. Did you have the flags as well? Which style were they? I assume the leather laces were to tie the case to a horse or maybe secure it on a wagon.

I don't think they are worth much at best. I bought mine from someone closing down a cubical at an antique mall. I think it was listed at $5 and it was 60% off that so I've got like $2 in it. This was 2 or 3 years ago. They are neat looking though and like it was said earlier the operator had to be gutsy to stand up under fire and wave 2 red and white flags around. Nothing like calling attention to yourself.

Yep, it sold for about 25.00. The good thing is that it only cost me 10.00. think.gif I wonder if I will walk past the next one ermm.gif ...Naaahhh thumbsup.gif