WWI Repro Wings

madcap

I'm new to the forum but have been studying it over for a few weeks since becoming involved with in a local WWI Anniversary Armistice celebration that renewed my wing collecting interest.

My collecting started over 40 years ago when original wings were not expensive or difficult to find before eBay, but was never fortunate to come across any WWI Air Service wings.

At the risk of appearing unacceptable I'd like to appeal to any WWI wing collectors out there that may have any high quality repros they aren't attached to and would be willing to sell at reasonable cost to please let me know. I'd especially appreciate to find a Dallas Wing and Halthrom wing if possible.

I look forward to sharing some of my relatively small collection few of which I hesitate to mention I know are repros and others may be questionable but learning whatever more experienced collectors may have to add will be appreciated. I also have some unusual wings that have always made me curious and hope to learn what if anything they may be.

Thanks,

madcap sends

Howdy,

I would direct you to eBay. You can find some reasonably priced reproductions that are pretty good.

For example, https://www.ebay.com/i/382292379467?chn=ps

(I have no financial interest in this auction, just using it as an example)

Finding reproduction Dallas wings shouldn't be that much of a problem...but finding reproduction Dallas wings NOT being sold (and priced) as originals is a bit more difficult... LOL

Since a good vintage Dallas or Halthrom wing will normally cost you $1000-2000+, your best bet is to look for wings already labeled as reproductions.

He Who Shall Not Be Named also makes reproductions of these wings as well as the Halthom wings IIRC. But for a variety of reasons, I won't give him a plug or a link. But you can find his stuff being sold in a variety of venues, including eBay. I know he lurks on this site, so you may get an email from him.

Good luck and please share your wings. The collectors on this site are very smart and willing to share information.

Patrick

Thanks much for your reply. My initial interest in collecting was totally directed at original examples but it seemed within about 5-7 years repros started to to show up - it may have been sooner but I know my early wings were all original. I know some of my collection contains repros of questionable quality but gave up some time back looking any more to add to my originals.

I'd like to post some photos of my collection in an appropriate thread if you or someone could direct me. One particular, very early high quality wing (USN Medical/Flight Surgeon??) I've had for decades is a puzzle and might raise some interesting comments.

Best,

Dick

I'd like to post some photos of my collection in an appropriate thread if you or someone could direct me.

Dick,

You can either post photos in this thread or start a new one. This forum is generally pretty informal with respect to rules. The moderators will usually only move threads if they are really, really far afield.

post-594-0-01894000-1543684774_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Chris