New group - Navy or Marine Corps Officer? - I'm still learning!

Packard1969

Hello Guys!

I purchased this group today - nothing outstanding, and sadly not attributed, but not bad for a fairly new collection (and at the right price!) by a UK collector!

Looking at the awards, I'm guessing the group was to a Navy or Marine Corps Officer? (based on the absence of GCM and inclusion of the MSM). Am I on the right tracks here? Still learning here and always keen to pick up as much knowledge as I can!

Would be grateful for any help!

Thanks for you help guys!

post-201003-0-61158000-1543525697_thumb.jpg

Could be either. I'm guessing a 20-year O-5 of either service. The NDSM should have a star on it, but otherwise it looks like a fairly complete group for someone who served from say, 1990 to maybe 2010 or so.

The only thing that could sway me to thinking it was a USMC officer is the lack of personal awards. The Navy and USMC are generally stingy...but in the Navy, if you don't recieve a personal award after each tour, it means you pretty much failed at that tour. With only three personal awards during a 20-year career...that's pretty remarkable.

Of course, the group may not be complete and stars (representing multiple awards) could be missing...so unfortunately, we will never know for sure.

Dave

Thanks Dave!

It's good to know I was on the right track!

So possibly a Lieut. Col. USMC or Commander USN. I'll have to look out for a star to add to the NDSM!

Thanks again, really appreciate your help

Also, Marine Corps stars are supposed to go up and down and Navy stars go across. IMHO, it's either a put together or incomplete. Dave's got it on the big red flag - the NDSM would have a minimum of one star if it covers the period for which the other service medals were awarded: NDSM was awarded for for the Gulf War from 1990-1995 and for GWOT from 2001-present. If he/she served through both (as indicated by the Kuwaiti Liberation Medal (Kuwait) and the GWOT Expeditionary and Service medals), there should be a star on the NDSM. Also, I'm not quite sure how one would earn two stars on the SWASM but no Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia).