MARINE USED M3 KNIFE IN M6 SCABBARD?

6th.MG.BN

Ken, Yes we have a great resource here when it comes to connecting names to individuals. My earlier comment was specifically aimed at the various companies that make their living off of creating data bases for researching family trees, some of the information is better than others. There's a lot of bad data, which leads to "garbage in, garbage out".

It really is a happy coincidence that remman deciphered the name from the printing, and I happened across that New York data base that contained what looks to be his name. Still to be sure it would be good to check out data bases for any other examples of H.E. Guldenschuh or something close from all branches of service to eliminate them as possibilities.

It wouldn't be the first time I found something that looked promising that ended up sending me down a rabbit hole for quite some time before I found it was not what I convinced myself it was.

Ken, Yes we have a great resource here when it comes to connecting names to individuals. My earlier comment was specifically aimed at the various companies that make their living off of creating data bases for researching family trees, some of the information is better than others. There's a lot of bad data, which leads to "garbage in, garbage out".

It really is a happy coincidence that remman deciphered the name from the printing, and I happened across that New York data base that contained what looks to be his name. Still to be sure it would be good to check out data bases for any other examples of H.E. Guldenschuh or something close from all branches of service to eliminate them as possibilities.

It wouldn't be the first time I found something that looked promising that ended up sending me down a rabbit hole for quite some time before I found it was not what I convinced myself it was.

Sactroop,

I'm happy with the results of the members search results. As you stated it is a great resource to have the members identify a servicemen name and provide US Government records of that vet.

I'm not sure why you say to not trust the results? My search resources are not as deep as the members on this forum and being that this Marine has such a unique name, it seems like a case solved to me.

Regards,

Ken

About the only thing I can add to what I said earlier would be this. About 16 million Americans were put in uniform during WW2. I typed in Guldenschuh into one available data base that happened to be for the State of New York, one out of 48 during the War. There was only the one name returned. Maybe it's a home run. If it is it was very lucky. Do we know out of 16 million how many Guldenshuh's there may have been?