Pre-United Spanish American War organization badges

libi

I am a reseacher who is working on a history of the early years of the USWV and its predecessors. I am especially interested in the changes in the membership badges and officer badges. I am familiar with George Kane's excellent study, those of OMSA members Barry Weaver and Harvey Eisenberg. I am asking fourm members if they have, and are willing to share copies of any USWV National Encampment proceedings between 1904 and 1924. I have copies of the Constitution Rules and Regulations for 1904, 1907, and 1910, as well as later, but not the proceedings. I am also looking for copies of the Rules and Regulations and proceedings of national encampments for the USWV predecessor organization Spanish War Veterans (SWV). If any of you have them and are willing to make photocopies or pdf's I am happy to compensate you for time and shipping. If any are available for purchase, please let me know.

I have searched Federal, State, and Local archival holdings via the internet, and the SWV material is hard to find.

I will be grateful for any assistance.

Libi,

I commend you on the work you are doing and look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor.

I have digital copies of the USWV Proceedings for several of the National Encampments (from the 67th to the 91st) if you are interested. It might be, though, that these items are on the wrong end of the organization's existence for your research.

Each one begins with sections that restate:

"AMALGAMATION AGREEMENT BY AND BETWEEN THE SPANISH WAR VETERANS, SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR VETERANS, AND SERVICEMEN OF THE SPANISH WAR"

of interest might be "Section 12. The badge and buttons of the United Spanish War Veterans shall be the badge and button heretofore in use by the National Army and Navy Spanish War Veterans, except that the bar of said badge shall be so changed as to contain the word 'United,' and all buttons hereafter furnished shall contain the words 'United Spanish War Veterans'."

"AMALGAMATION AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE UNITED SPANISH WAR VETERANS AND THE LEGION OF SPANISH WAR VETERANS"

"AMALGAMATION AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE UNITED SPANISH WAR VETERANS AND THE VETERAN ARMY OF THE PHILIPPINES"

and the

"FEDERAL INCORPORATION OF THE UNITED SPANISH WAR VETERANS"

Some list "PAST COMMANDERS IN CHIEF OF ORGANIZATIONS AMALGAMATED INTO UNITED SPANISH WAR VETERANS

• SPANISH WAR VETERANS
  • SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR VETERANS
  • SERVICE MEN OF THE SPANISH WAR
  • LEGION OF SPANISH WAR VETERANS
  • VETERAN ARMY OF THE PHILIPPINES

Let me know if you are interested in them.

Kevin

Kevin: Thanks for your response. I have copies of the proceeding from 1924 through the last convention. I also have the amalgmation agreements. I have sorted out most of the changes in the membership badges and officer badges after 1910. The USWV changed the both badge types between 1904 and 1910. I think I understand those changes, but checking original source material like the SWV rules and regulations as well as the early USWV proceedings may shed light on some of those changes. I am trying to build on the works George Kane and Barry Weaver.

LIBI