Looking for info on my great uncle

RememberThe5thESB

RememberThe5thESB

I was wondering if anyone could help me track down any records of a Elroy Otto Koeppen (Or Vernon Koeppen, a great... something... of mine who was a WW2 Navy vet)

Or even any gear (real longshot there)

He was born 1926 (I think) in Illinois, and lived in Wheeling Illinois, in cook county I believe. He was a marine during WW2, and fought on both Iwo Jima and Okinawa (If I remember correctly)

If anyone can scrounge up some information it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Publication: The Daily Herald

Issue Date: Friday, November 17, 1944

Page: Page 10

Chanute From Chanute Field, III., comes word of Vern Koeppen of Mt. Prospect. "I've graduated from radio mechanic school at Wisconsin and am now a radio mechanic. I have been shipped to Chanute Field, 111., and, am taking a five weeks course of electronic work. The radio work at Truax was hard but it got more interesting as we went along, and am glad to have had the chance to take up radio. "The school down here is just the fundamental work of radar, which, if I complete the course, I will go on to study. "I am in the best of health and am getting some of the best meals I ever had in the army. "I would like to have the paper transferred down here. I enjoy reading it very much for I have located a lot of my buddies reading with Uncle Sam. His address is Pvt, Vern E. Koeppen 36953035, Sec. L, 3502. AAF BU-Blcs. 1V5, Chanute Field, III.

RememberThe5thESB

Elroy O Koeppen  was a marine with the 3rd battalion 28th regiment 5TH division on Iwo Jima.

Mark

Out of curiosity, how'd you find that out?

Also thanks for all the help on this!

RememberThe5thESB

Alright, thanks a lot for that. Is there anyway to find out more about him online? Or would I have to obtain his records through the National archives or etc?

Well you could get your own ancestry.com account and learn to do this type of research for yourself. To find out more specific information on this Marine you can contact a researcher, like Mark (aka - mes) and have him pull his OMPF from the NPRC in St. Louis.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz