Springfield Armory Model of 1909 Bolo Knives

usoverlord

I currently have three... SA 1909, SA 1910 & SA1912.......I'm hoping to fill in the holes and get one of each year.

I would add pictures but don't know how to resize???

I have a SA 1912, and a Plumb 1917. Scabbards are what has eluded me. I think theses are really underrated as collectibles. Anyone who has picked one up realizes the deadly potential of the M1909. SKIP.

Just out of curiosity! Has anyone ever seen any information on how the bolos, whether M1904, M1909, M1910, or M1917s were sharpened with that one sided beveled edge? Not that I'm gonna sharpen any, but just curious. SKIP

I believe the correct way to sharpen that sort of edge would be on a surface grinder. Placing the beveled edge face down and running the wheel over the entire flat edge. But out in the field I guess a stone and some patience would suffice.

Bayonets on the other hand are not intended to be very sharp. The theory is that a sharp edge will cut cleanly and a "semi" sharp/dull edge will tear cause a more significant wound. My 2 cents, out.........

Charlie Flick

Are there any production #s for these bolos year to year?

Yes, there are. The Springfield Armory published annual reports which were usually entitled "Reports of Principal Operations at the Armory". Note that these Reports were prepared on the Armory's Fiscal Year, not the calendar year. The Fiscal Year ended on June 30, so a Report on 1910, for example, would be for the Fiscal Year operations from July 1, 1909 to June 30, 1910.

Thus, in looking at the Report for Fiscal Year 1910, it reveals that the Armory reported manufacturing 11,007 of the Bolo, Model of 1909. Examination of all of the Reports prepared during the years in which the Model of 1909 were produced would reveal the total production reported by the Armory. M.H. Cole has stated that the total SA production amounted to 17,540, but I have never tried to corroborate that figure.

I am not aware of a primary source for production totals of the Bolos manufactured by Plumb. M.H. Cole, however, stated that during WW1 Plumb manufactured more than 58,000 of these Bolos. Benedict Crowell's famous book entitled "America's Munitions" on WW1 production may have an exact total but I have not bothered to track it down in my library to confirm that.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Charlie

Frank Trzaska

I would like to address the Plumb 1909, not to steal the thread but to correct a mistake I and many others have made over the years. Having used the highest serial number viewed we all assumed that the numbers made were 58,000 but this is not the case. Plumb had a contract for 20,000 of the Model of 1909 or Artillery Bolos as they called them. The serial numbers assigned began at 40,000 and ended at 60,000. Therein lies the catch, no one took into account the lowest number starting at 40k.

I have corrected my notes and files but the article I wrote for KW many years ago states 58k and for that I apologize. That my friends is what happens when we assume.

As for primary sources Philadelphia in the World War 1919 to 1919 compiled by the Philadelphia war history committee states the contract was for 20k bolos.

Charlie Flick

Good stuff, Frank. Thanks for updating the data on the Plumb Model of 1909 Bolos.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

I was just gifted this 1909 from a neighbour that had it for years and didnt really value milsurp collectables very much, so he gave it to me. It has been sharpend and battoned on the top quite a bit but it is still as functional as the day it was made. Great bolos!

post-207275-0-96504100-1544813619.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got a scabbard with it?

No, I don't have a scabbard. Are there any repo's available to buy? I doubt I will find an original......

Chances of finding an original are somewhere between exceedingly rare and never. The bolos are reproduced and come with a scabbard . Ive never handled one but they look ok. Ive thought about buying one just for the scabbard. They sell for around a hundred bucks, knife and scabbard. Not really a bad price if you need a scabbard.