VMB 614

mortaydc60

This patch was offered on ebay recently and now see that it is a variation not previously known atleast to me and not mentioned in Millsteins book. Seller gives size as 41/2" and is flight suit version. Curious as to what forum thinks. The patch color is more tan than known variety and see some differences in feet and deck design of carrier deck.

post-565-0-11502800-1543378122.jpg

post-565-0-40848000-1543378134.jpg

I had not seen the post by Jeffro, which is right on point. I agree, the subject patch is not WWII issue.

The eBay listing headline should say it all. The unit wrongly identified as VMTB-614, when in fact the unit is VMTB-624. Dismissing the smaller (4-1/2") than typical jacket patch size as "flight suit size" is questionable. Patches sewn to flight suits were generally four inches or less in size, while the patch in the auction is reported to be 4-1/2 inches; too small for a jacket patch and too large for a flight suit.

I haven't seen in person the eBay patch, but the photo suggests to me it is a thin brown wool while the genuine is a plush or thick white wool. The backs of the patches reveal details of the manufacturing style, and how they vary. These are key.

Known WWII issue, left, versus subject patch, right. (Note: not to scale as the genuine issue, left, is in fact larger than 4-1/2".)

vmb-624-600.jpgvmtb-624%20fake%204%20and%20half%20inch-

vmb-624b-600a.jpgvmtb-624%20fake%204%20and%20half%20inch-

The patch in this recent eBay sale is not WWII vintage. I posted detail on VMB-624/VMTB-624, here.

The seller apparently wrote his description incorrectly and created doubt in the patch. you can see on the reverse that he correctly ID's the patch but states in the description that the ID written on the back is incorrect. I was the buyer and am returning the patch. I was willing to take the risk that there was this variation in size and color. In hand it is very detailed and well made but I did not like the firm feel of the patch which makes me think newer construction. Also returned to seller because it does not pay to have an item in collection that people or conscience do not believe to be right. They could be wrong but it would be an uphill battle to resell.For most collectors of Marine squadron insignia the go to book is Millstein and in this case it shows only the one variation. However if you depended just on that one source how do you accept any variation;thankfully we have Rick and Jethro on the forum that have shown many variations not in Millstein and I took the shot that this maybe one that slipped thru the cracks and others did not want to take the plunge on the unknown. The seller has a good rep and the end price was half of what it should be so I took the shoot. Once in hand better able to evaluate and decided to return.

Mort, FWIT I vaguely remember this patch or style of the foot and face as an old_club_badges patch. Sometimes he sells out of the patches and the insignia is no longer offered in his store which this one is currently not.