Stingers of the Mosquito Fleet - Chapter 1

disneydave

I have been interested in World War II history for many, many years, ever since I was a teenager actually. My next door neighbor fought in World War II. He never really spoke about the war, although I did find out he was with a Canadian artillery unit that had seen action in Italy.

At some point in time I started interviewing veterans. I found their stories riveting. Their memories often ran the full range of emotion - joy, depression, terror, loneliness. On numerous occasions I have shared laughter and tears as they related their stories.

Despite the very real threat of being killed in action, every single veteran I have interviewed has said to the person, they would do it all over again.

I had at one point in time considered writing a book on the veterans who served in the so-called "Mosquito Fleet." Instead, I have decided to share the recollections of patrol torpedo boat veterans through this forum.

I am involved with many, different and diverse projects right now, plus my wife and I have a young family. So, I will post, as time permits, the memories these Navy veterans shared with me and some of the photos they sent to me to copy.

I freely admit that I am not an "expert" when it comes to pt boats. I don't know when certain modifications were made to the boats that were manufactured, nor do I care to know. I will leave that to others. My interest and joy has been in collecting the memories of the men that served their country during World War II. I have always thought that many take for granted the freedoms we enjoy today. One only has to look around the world at any number of countries to realize what we have in North America is special.

By posting veteran's memories here, I hope others will learn about the sacrifices those veterans endured and better appreciate what those who have gone before us, have accomplished in the name of freedom and democracy.

kundis_missleman_1.JPG

Walter Kundis was the first PT boat veteran I interviewed. Walter had a very distinguished military career that began with the Navy and ended with the Air Force. In his own words, here is how Walter's military career began:

"My father was a coal miner. He was only 48 when he died leaving a wife and seven children. All the kids had to pitch-in and help one another. That’s why I didn’t join-up after Pearl Harbor. I was just about to finish High School when the Japs attacked and so I stayed in until I graduated. I took my father’s advice, got out of the coal mines, and moved to Maryland to work in the steel mills. I worked there for one year and then decided to join the Navy in 1943. I volunteered for Gunner’s Mate School as well as PT boats. I had heard about the adventures of the PT boat fleet over the radio, and in magazines and newspapers. When I raised my hand to enlist in the Navy I was full of pride.

I received my Navy Boot Camp training at the Sampson Naval Training Base in New York. My training began on June 30, 1943 and lasted 8 weeks. I thought it was going to be tougher than it really was: the basic marching, drilling, keeping our barracks ship-shape, living with a group of men, and even handling an old whale boat using oars.

After you completed Boot Camp the Navy would classify your ability. I requested to become a Gunner’s Mate. I was sent to the School Section at Sampson and began my training on all type of guns the U.S. Navy maintained. I learned about various guns and the types of projectiles and powder that was used for each. This was a general get-acquainted type of course that lasted 12 weeks. I graduated on November 19, 1943."

Walter continues...

"After completing Gunner’s Mate School the Navy asked me what type of ship I wanted to be assigned to. I asked for PT boats or submarines. Because PT boats had the highest priority I was shipped to the Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Training Center at Melville, Rhode Island, December 18, 1943.

When we arrived by train we were greeted by a bunch of sailors on the platform that were unshaven, dirty, and they were shouting, 'Go Back, Go Back!' It seems that because of the cold weather all the water pipes froze and burst and the only running water on the base was in the Mess Hall. My first thoughts were 'What the Hell did I get into!' When they showed us the barracks that we were going to live in, they were full of snow. To get in we had to shovel the snow out and build a fire in a potbelly stove. This situation lasted almost two weeks. At least our training continued in heated classrooms.

I was trained on all the different type of weapons that were carried on a PT boat. The courses covered every weapon imaginable: from the torpedoes, to depth charges, 40mm, 37mm and 20mm cannon, .50 caliber machine gun, all the small arms and even the proper use of hand grenades. I was taught to repair and maintain all these weapons. I received most of my training firing guns, but the other ratings also had to learn how to fire all the weapons. We were taught all the ratings that served on the boats. Each man had to be able to take over another man’s position.

I was required to be able to take over the engine room duties. I sort of shied away from that as performing that job took a strong back to shift the gears and the heat was like being in Hell. I concentrated on being a good line handler, in operating the wheel, and docking. I was getting real good at it. We were trained on all the types of PTs available because no one knew at that time what type of boat they would be assigned to. About 60 percent was classroom and 40 percent was on the boats. The training was intense and lasted 12 weeks. I graduated on March 09, 1944.

kundis_melville_boat_port.JPG

Training in the waters off Melville, Rhode Island.

My first PT boat ride was on the coldest day ever recorded and the seas were very rough. Our first four-hour ride on the boat made most of the class seasick. I wasn’t one of them. The cold weather and stormy seas didn’t dampen my determination to serve aboard a PT. I loved it. I felt I had made the right choice and at that time I was ready to meet the enemy head-on.

kundis_melville_3_starboard.JPG

Three pt boats starboard on a training mission near Rhode Island.

I was lucky because I was assigned to a brand new Squadron. We took delivery of PT 524 right from the factory, took her all the way to the South Pacific to fight the enemy, and I finished the war aboard her in Borneo. Once you were assigned a Squadron they told you what area of combat you were going to. We were told that we were headed to the Pacific. All squadrons were assigned the men to man the boats as soon as possible, so they could work as a crew. Other men were sent as replacement crewmembers right after graduation."

Walter remembers the journey from New York to Panama:

kundis_convoy_to_south_pacific.JPG

In convoy from New York to Panama. Walter remembered the convoy had a top speed of 8 knots.

"Our first tanker was the SS R.G. Stewart. Three of our Squadron’s boats were loaded on the tanker on June 4, 1944, and the following day we were on our way in convoy to the Panama Canal.

kundis_pts_in_transit.JPG

PTs 522, 523 and 524 secured on the deck of the SS R.G. Stewart. The PT crewmen slept on their own boats while in transit.

Ladders visible on the left side of this photo go from the deck of the Stewart to the decks of each PT boat.

We were unloaded on the Pacific side. Panama was the last time any of us saw liberty until after the war was over. Panama City was a sailors dream come true. It had everything: wine, women, and song. We took full advantage of it all! After all we were on our way to war.

kundis_drink_panama.JPG

Walter Kundis, seated on the left, enjoys a drink with his buddies in Panama.

Prior to leaving the Brooklyn Navy Yard, a 40mm cannon was removed from another ship under construction and installed on PT 524. The gun was tested for the first time off the island of Toboga near Panama. During the test the cannon failed to fire. After several attempts I was told to get down from the weapon as the first loader, and let someone up there who knew what they were doing. Brown, the other Gunner’s Mate, took my place and performed the same procedures that I did with the same results.

Skipper Wolf angrily stated that after we returned to the base, both of the Gunner’s Mates would be fired and replaced. After observing what happened when Brown ejected the round that failed to fire, I noticed an excess amount of grease on the nose of the projectile. I inserted my hand inside the chamber of the barrel and discovered that we had failed to remove the grease from the chamber. This prevented the round from being fully chambered.

I proceeded to the bridge, approached the now pissed-off Skipper, and explained our findings. I requested another attempt to test fire the 40mm cannon. He reluctantly turned the boat around and headed towards the target area, stating that if we had not corrected the problem, I would be fired and removed from the crew. I accepted his proposal.

After arriving at the target area I performed all the procedures to ready the gun for firing. I announced in a loud and clear voice, 'The gun is ready to fire.' After being given permission, I gave the command to fire. The pointer of the crew pressed the firing pedal. The sound of the gun firing was music to my ears. My crew status was preserved. The gun was never to misfire or malfunction again.

While at Panama we awaited the arrival of our next two PT boats. When they arrived, all the boats in our squadron, five in total, were loaded on the tanker SS Gulf Maraciabo. That tanker took all five boats to the tip of Miline Bay, New Guinea. The PTs were unloaded and we proceeded on our own power, sailing the whole length of New Guinea. We arrived at our new base at Mios Woendi."