13th Armored Division

disneydave

The item pictured in this post was given to me by a visitor to my blog. Her father was deceased and her mother was going into a long term care facility. She found the card in a box of other items. Her father had mailed the greeting card to her mother during the war.

Two different 13 Armored Christmas cards exist. One features the full Disney-designed insignia, while this one features just the cat image, with the addition of a Santa's hat and red ribbon.

xmas_13th_armored_dit.JPG

That's excellent disneydave.

I was wondering where I had seen that card before, or one like it, and it hit me. There is a nice article and pictorial about Christmas in wartime in WWII magazine this month and a picture of a card like that is included. (See pic below) Now because of this article, I am searching for a few Christmas cards to add to my collection. Just for some variety. Very nice card!

Troy

post-1304-1197129588.jpg

Thanks Troy...I'll have to hit the bog box bookstore tomorrow to look for a copy of that issue. I've contacted the editor of that mag previously, inquiring about a Disney war article, but no response so far.

Thanks for posting this Dave. I have thought about collecting war time Christmas cards for about 3 years now and just haven't pulled the trigger due to the fact I'm trying to control that "collector mania". I do love seeing these. This might even be something the wife would let into the living room for a few weeks a year. :)

Thanks for posting this Dave. I have thought about collecting war time Christmas cards for about 3 years now and just haven't pulled the trigger due to the fact I'm trying to control that "collector mania". I do love seeing these. This might even be something the wife would let into the living room for a few weeks a year. :)

I'm lucky because my wife likes the stuff w00t.gif - we have a display case right in our living room...right now it's filled with my collection of 1930s Disney Christmas related items.

• 1 year later...

I bought this Christmas card this past summer. I've been trying to acquire this particular one for a couple of years now, but always seemed to get outbid. I now own 5 items related to this Division that depict their Disney-designed insignia:

stationary

2 Christmas cards

soft-cover large format book detailing the Division's history at Camp Beale

program for a stage play the men performed before being deployed

All of these items can be seen in the Home Front Walt Disney Goes To War forum.

Enjoy!

blog_13th_xmas_card_2.JPG

• 5 years later...