Affordable ways to frame/display clothing/bags?

avigo

Hey guys. I have a few jackets, a pair of pants, and a few bags I want to think about framing (all desperately).

Are there are "cheap" ways to do this? Or is an expensive shadow box the only way to go? If shawdow box is the best option, what are you guys' recommendations? Is it worth it to build them myself?

Thanks!

dhcoleterracina

I posted somewhere here an inexpensive framing idea for some flags that I wished to display. I now have made about ten of these frames and the best part (aside from the cost) is the ability to switch a flag out if something better comes along (something always does). The same techniques could be used for uniforms except that you will want to make the channel deeper due to the thickness of the uniform. I used simple 1x4's and 1x2's purchased cheaply from Lowes and used a furniture paint also from Lowes. For the glass I use plexi but I'm careful to NOT have them in direct sunlight. I am not a "woodworker" per se but have a small table saw, mitre box saw and nail gun. This is a Navy flag done recently but color, and size changes could easily be made to accommodate a uniform.

post-573-0-83772600-1543349243_thumb.jpg

I posted somewhere here an inexpensive framing idea for some flags that I wished to display. I now have made about ten of these frames and the best part (aside from the cost) is the ability to switch a flag out if something better comes along (something always does). The same techniques could be used for uniforms except that you will want to make the channel deeper due to the thickness of the uniform. I used simple 1x4's and 1x2's purchased cheaply from Lowes and used a furniture paint also from Lowes. For the glass I use plexi but I'm careful to NOT have them in direct sunlight. I am not a "woodworker" per se but have a small table saw, mitre box saw and nail gun. This is a Navy flag done recently but color, and size changes could easily be made to accommodate a uniform.

Great frames, and even greater flags! Love that flag.

Do you have a step by step on how you made them? Would love to know your process. Thanks!

dhcoleterracina

Do a search...my first attempt at framing an old army flag. I'm happy with them. I've pulled down two flags and switched them out with better ones. That process took about 20 minutes and they're back up.

I remember seeing another solution where a shallow box is created and screwed to the wall. A door with glass is built and attached with hinges. The uniform is simply hung in the shadow box and removed as needed.