Medal request for a WWI veteran?

P-40Warhawk

A direct relative of mine received a Meritorious Services Citation Certificate for service in 1918 (I had a researcher copy the awards card to confirm this), when the Purple Heart was established in 1932 anyone with the certificate was eligible for the newly created medal. I could find no record of my relative having received his medal (I was told that the award card would have said if one had been mailed, and it did not mention it), and he passed away over half a century ago. We are proud of his record to his nation and his family, is there a way to request the medal he never received?

Is this a lost cause to try to get recognition for him now?

Is there any way to have a medal issued to each of his three surviving grandchildren?

How would one go about such a request, if it can even be done?

The government will reissue modern strikes of awards to Next of Kin. The application and process can be found on NARA's website

The government will reissue modern strikes of awards to Next of Kin. The application and process can be found on NARA's website

Thanks, would that be the case in a situation where it was a certificate that would have later been upgraded to the medal?

• 2 weeks later...

I just read this today. In 2016 I had the US Army go thru my grandfather's record and other government documents for approval for a Silver Star Medal. They approved it with engraving and reissued his Purple Heart with engraving, Silver Victory Button and his 5 clasp Victory Medal with additional 6th clasp of France clasp.Yes, a France clasp. They also found 3 more awards. So go for it!

I just read this today. In 2016 I had the US Army go thru my grandfather's record and other government documents for approval for a Silver Star Medal. They approved it with engraving and reissued his Purple Heart with engraving, Silver Victory Button and his 5 clasp Victory Medal with additional 6th clasp of France clasp.Yes, a France clasp. They also found 3 more awards. So go for it!

Hi! Thanks! I never knew they would issue the clasps for the Victory medal anymore, so I appreciate the information on your request.

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t know your relation to the recipient, but medals are usually restricted to close next-of-kin. Spouses, children, and maybe grandchildren. I understand medals will not be issued to nephews, nieces, cousins, etc. I don’t know if they will issue medals to multiple relatives. Good luck,

When I did my grandfather's in 2016, my Dad's brother was still alive. I had his power of attorney in a notorized statement that I can receive them on his behalf. The brother said I can have the issued awards and decorations because I research and archive our family's military history. A side note- I was given his WWII items back in the 1980's. Myself, I have been the curator for over 45 years. Google search GOD DUTY COUNTRY Veterans Display and you will see it.

That's a good point. There are enough grandkids and great grandkids now, that it may just be better to buy a few modern production copies so no one feels left out.

Does anyone know if the clasps are available as reproductions, or current production? I may have to make a couple of shadow boxes so each of his grandkids have something to pass down to his great grandchildren.

US WORLD WAR I VICTORY MEDAL- RECENT AWARDS- I recently started a post with this subject header. Search it on the forum and you'll see all the WWIVM modern information.