You need a shave...

MemphisB@lle

Hi people,

I kinda fell in love with gathering the small bits and pieces a US GI dragged along in his pockets.(Helmets take to much space)

As you can see, I have the major brands shaving goods in my modest collection ,but i was wondering what other brands shaving cream were used in the field during WW2 ?

Thanks

Peter

post-182294-0-13423600-1543258239_thumb.jpg

tdogchristy90

Hey Peter,

What can you tell me about the red velvet tobacco can in the back? We've had one as decor for a long time but never thought much about it.

Thanks

Hey Peter,

What can you tell me about the red velvet tobacco can in the back? We've had one as decor for a long time but never thought much about it.

Thanks

Hi,

The Velvet can...

I more or less base the items I'm looking for on both the 1st and 2nd edition of the ETO GI collector's guide.

Most of the stuff the US Army had and used here in Europe, are in there, including the tobacco cans I own.

The Velvet one has the blue tax label series 111 which would date it 1941.

So the search continues, but that is part of the fun of collecting, no? :-)

Peter

FWIW, my Grandad smoked Velvet in his pipe up into the early-mid 70's, and I don't think the can ever changed. So I reckon it would come down to what tax label it would have to date one accordingly.

Hello Peter,

Great display!. I too like those smaller personel items. Nice helmets, by the way :)

Since you mention shaving in the title of your thread here's some shaving equipement:

post-169612-0-86238900-1543263702_thumb.jpg

Rene

FWIW, my Grandad smoked Velvet in his pipe up into the early-mid 70's, and I don't think the can ever changed. So I reckon it would come down to what tax label it would have to date one accordingly.

Sure, that's it. A lot of present day US and German companies and multinationals made their fame and fortune during the war.

And a lot still use the same name.

But to have a date period correct item is always nice.

@Dogsbody

That's what I like. Nice complete sets.

On topic, any other WW2 known brands shaving cream?

Indeed Rene, found that one yesterday in France, ordered and awaiting delivery ! :)

I see, the name Palmolive pops up from time to time?

Here is an image from my collection showing Palmolive and Velodent tubes of shaving crème, among other things. Also included are mug shaving soaps from Williams.

Bob

post-299-0-21828800-1543347983_thumb.jpg

This is great. Love the complete kits.

I just received the Burma -Shave this morning which brings my "shaving stuff" to this.

It's a start...

post-182294-0-30993800-1543481225_thumb.jpg

Peter, that is a great start!! I too love collecting the personal items that would have been carried/used by the average combat GI Joe during WWII. Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! I have one of those Rubberset brushes, (wanted to use it, but the hair and buytrate plastic stinks to high hell..) and a couple of Gillette Bakelite Techs, one is WW2 with the back painted head. (and triangular lather channel, S marked baseplate, and a KW era, with Bakelite handle and nickel head, oval shaped lather channels, X2 dated.

Nice! I have one of those Rubberset brushes, (wanted to use it, but the hair and buytrate plastic stinks to high hell..) and a couple of Gillette Bakelite Techs, one is WW2 with the back painted head. (and triangular lather channel, S marked baseplate, and a KW era, with Bakelite handle and nickel head, oval shaped lather channels, X2 dated.

LOL... the girls wouldn't appreciate the stinking shave .

Nice list !

I'm currently keeping an eye open for a nice and complete Gillette Khaky "Property of US ARMY" set.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Peter, nice additions. I see you're also 'branching out' into dental hygiëne items. ^_^

Rene

:-)

Hi Rene,

Yes indeed, but you need more then a clean shave to go on a date !

Can't help it... lots to collect in that area.

Peter

eaglerunner88

That recent Gillette Khaki Set you found is WWI vintage, nice one! It's pretty hard to find them with the mirror still tucked back there.

That recent Gillette Khaki Set you found is WWI vintage, nice one! It's pretty hard to find them with the mirror still tucked back there.

Thanks.

Yes they're quite old. Found this set in a store in France.

Peter