USMC Robeson MK2 ebay - Worth #2,500. ?

usmce4

I saw one much nicer that was listed @ $1400 and sold for best offer.

That one didn't go to waste Ron, one of our people got it. - Wasn't me though, I'm always the bridesmaid, never the bride :(

Art

There's another I saw recently the seller wants $4000. To me it's just not worth it. Don't need one that bad. SKIP

I've been watching that one too. It's mint with a capital "M". Before I spent $2500 on the ebay one I'd reach a little deeper in my pocked and pull out another $1500 and take the mint one. Plus, it's been for sale awhile now - $3500 cash on the barrelhead might get it.

Art

what is so special at it?? marine?? not navy??

USMC..small contract.Original scabbard with black thread stitching.

Many were broken or repaired as the pommel weld was weak.

Add it all up = ebay and two people were in the "gotta have it" bid war.

I don't recall ever seeing production figures for RCCs early USMC, or USN MK2s. But since i own a USN, that is identical to the USMC version, I can live with that. Bought it a few years back for around $200. Original sheath, early blued blade. red spacers, slightly used, USN RCC. Optimistic that at some point I'll stumble across one at some yard sale, or junk store. RCC seems to have produced a lot of rarities, M3s, especially blade dated, (rarer than V42s for sale), and you seldom see the RCC M1942 machetes. The one I have is higher quality than any other US machete, heavier blade, that is beautifully blued, w/ a wooden handle. SKIP

oldradiostuff

The Best Offer one on Sunday sold for $1300.

Since someone will ask: my son is a programmer and wrote an app for me that lets me see sold for prices on best offer sales on ebay.

I like my two examples.Top one has a lot of blue and had Steve replace the pommel.Bottom one I gave $50 for at a military auction less than 2 years ago.Came with a standard Mk2 leather scabbard.

I also have a loose scabbard with black threads.

msg-342-0-57944400-1543284196.jpg

Ron- Thanks for showing, and letting me know there is still hope of finding one that the price is not over inflated. SKIP

Thanks Skip

They are out there.I think we are going to see a lot of stuff coming to market.Lots of (old)collections for sale

At the auction I was prepared to go a lot more but not a crazy lot more.There was a person there bidding on each bayonet or M3 trench knife that was there.I honestly didn't even look or pull any of the M3 or M4 knives out of the scabbards.The bidder was paying some good prices for a lot of the foreign bayonets.I figured he would run the "kabar" up as it was listed as such.He would look at his phone and bid.In retrospect the M3 and M4 knives were reasonable but Om not sure where he would have stopped and as I said I didn't even bid on them.Had never seen him at the auction and haven't seen him since but haven't gone to the last two the auctioneer had.Sometimes he gets "one timers" there.I think they dump a pile of money or pay retail for several items and then cant resell at a profit so they don't return to the auction.It really surprised me that no one really ran me on the Robeson.As they saw some day your the dog..some days your the fire hydrant.

Skip

This is how I purchased the knife.I found the auction was April 2016

I have no reason to not think the scabbard was original to the knife or had been with it most of its life.There is a definate guard mark in the leather where the guard has left its impression.Maybe sold as surplus after the war and paired with a scabbard then?? never know.

post-342-0-82016600-1459738885.jpg