AEF POW in German Captivity: Photographs

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Proud Kraut, I remember that post with the photo. However, I forgot about it between now and then … Thanks for posting it again here.

Mikie, more surprising than the Campaign Hat, were the large pair of scissors (down by the rolled puttees) and the small pocket knife (up by the sewing kit). Surely those articles could have been fashioned into weapons. Nevertheless, a pretty complete POW care package. The only things missing are smokes and food!

Kastauffer, I was wondering if you had any AEF POW material … I'm glad that you did and that you posted it. Thanks a bunch.

Everforward, I agree. That Red Cross photo is terrific. There's another like it, displaying what was in a typical Red Cross Christmas package that was sent to the Doughboys serving overseas in the AEF. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the POWs received an identical package.

Salvage Sailor, what a coincidence that you should mention a movie. While reading your post about Issacs, I thought what a great movie his exploits would make.

Interesting topic. Looks like the Chauchat magazines have ammo in them still. I wonder if the dough-boys wanted to get their hands on them or wished they had something else. Picture number 3 does not look like pow's to me. Everyone looks at ease, there's a rifle on the motorcycle, and the officer on the left looks like he has a bulge under his coat on his right hip like there's a holster there. Maybe someone else sees more details showing some of the men to be Germans though. Just my 2 cents.

Two more pictures from the same series. First one shows U.S. POW in a camp. I would like to know more about the headgear of the men in the second row (marked visors).

WWI_B_1.jpg

Close-up of the different headgear.

WWI_B_2.jpg

Great information on the Red Cross parcels. Would love to put together a presentation including them! The visor caps on the German troops are Landsturm, as they have no insignia on the front. The absence of kokarden was somewhat typical of the Landsturm troops, who had the duty of POW guards and a number of other non-combat roles. They tended to get the left-overs when it came to uniform issue, If no kokarden were available at the time of their clothing issue, they went without. They sometimes received just the Landskokard for their caps, or just a gilt cross. Of course we have all seen the photos of smartly dressed Landsturm with all the insignia their hearts desired in the 1914 photos, but by war's end they were poorly equipped. MHJ

Some additional usable (?) information on the Landsturm. Since they handled most of the rear area work, they gained the contempt of the frontline troops, who gave the nickname "Speck," to them, which translates as "bacon." Perhaps the boys in the trenches figured the Landwehr absconded with most of the bacon rations intended for the fighting front. MHJ

world war I nerd

Thanks to all for posting more information and some great images!

I really like the fact that there are so many different photos of the first batch of 1st Division Doughboy POWS.

Here is another German made real picture postcard, one that I forgot I had, of squad weapons that were presumably captured by the Germans from the AEF.

It shows a One Pound Gun, Chauchat Automatic Rifle and a Hotchkiss Machine Gun.

post-5143-0-21045200-1543680325_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
world war I nerd

I just picked up an enlarged print of the poor quality image seen in post No. 4 of this topic.

Written on the reverse of the 10 1/2 X 14 inch image is: "U.S. Doughboys, some of the first captured, are led into captivity by an Imperial German Yaeger, 1917."

post-5143-0-50996400-1545487694_thumb.jpg

IN THE ABOVE PHOTO APPEARS SOME ARE WITH OUT BOOTS.LOOKS LIKE A COUPLE ARE WEARING A BAG OR SACK OF SOME MATERIAL OVER THEIR FEET

Yes, the guy left front rank has shoes and puttees, but the one to his left behind him looks like he just has socks, as has the guy behind him. The guys to that man's left and rear seem to have rags tied around their feet. Two right front rank seem to have bags.

Bill

world war I nerd

You guys are right. The majority of the Doughboy prisoners in the photo are indeed shoeless. My guess is that their hobnailed field shoes, along with anything else of value, or use, were liberated by their captors.

post-5143-0-81206300-1545519815_thumb.jpg

I call this one "stranger than fiction". My Great Uncle Eddy Martin was a POW of the Germans in WWI. Here he is with my 2x Great Grandmother after returning from captivity. The little girl is my Grandmother, Clarice Martin, the worlds first roller derby queen! Anyhow, that isn't the strange part. Scott

post-104832-0-93666200-1545547665.jpg

My family surname isn't really Martin so to speak. It was Avedano and Eddy's name was Eduardo Avedano. He and my Great Grandfather were the children of Italian Opera singer Ferdinand Avedano and they came to the US when there Father was performing as he was quite famous at the time. My Great Grandfather "Fred" changed his last name to Martin as he was a professional speed skater and he competed across the US as Fred Martin. So, his Father was famous and came here, Fred became famous and stayed here, Eddy, not so lucky... He was deported around 1911 or 1913 back to Torino. Still, not a bad life as his Father was quite famous and wealthy. When war came, Eddy was conscripted into the Italian Army and eventually was taken prisoner. Here is a copy of his German paperwork from the camp. Scott

post-104832-0-54425000-1545548147_thumb.jpg

He was held at Wittenburg from 1917 until the camp was liberated by the British we are told? At this point, Eddy, who speaks great English, convinces them he is an American POW. He is sent to France to be "repatriated" with the Army and as you can see here, was processed home as an American soldier. He was eventually discharged as a Sergeant from the 31st Field Hospital! He even has it on his grave marker. While all of these details have not been completely fact checked, it is the family story and the paperwork appears to support it pretty well. I thought you all might like it too. Scott

post-104832-0-43272200-1545548618_thumb.jpg

Bonjour.

The photo was taken on the road, coming from Bouillonville to Brenda. The vegetation has regained its rights. The chimney was destroyed, but the furnace remained at its base. On the spot, it's blatant

Sol.

post-241-0-87301100-1545555315.jpg

post-241-0-01315600-1545555318_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Wow! Amazing detective work Solcarlus. I'm amazed that you recognized the actual location of that POW photo.

Scott G … that's a pretty amazing story about your great granduncle. How does an Italian POW pass himself off as an American POW and nobody figures it out? He sound like a pretty gutsy guy. Any idea why he was deported back to Italy?

We were always told that he and my 2x Great Grandmother were deported back to Italy. I have a feeling that it wasn't so much a deportation but something like only having a temporary visa, or my Uncle perhaps being too young? I would imagine that there is some documentation somewhere but I have never tried to get any. Glad you liked the info. Scott