Help for US Navy B-4 Life Vest?

BlueBookGuy

hello all,

I'd wish put a question for the Life Vest experts (I'm not much in depth) - could be correct a B-4 vest so marked. Would need more infos and especially pictures, anyway this what's written:

VEST, LIFE-PRESERVER TYPE B-4

SPECIFICATION No. 94-3135

DATE Jan 31 1944

NAVY CONTRACT NO. N288S- 14850

NEW YORK RUBBER CORP

Collar strap maybe isn't present, but not really sure about this - I didn't understood clearly. If remember correct what read somewhere in the forum, not before early 1944 this was added.

Many thanx in advance for any helps. Franco.

Franco,

The nomenclature you have written appears correct, with the exception of the last digit of the contract number, which should be a "9", not a "0". Possibly the ink stamp on the vest is not clear, or it's just a typo on your part? Vests in this contract would have been made without a back strap, although one may have been added in the field, following instruction and a diagram from the Bureau of Aeronautics in May of 1944. Another feature of this contract was the large "USN" stenciled on the back of the neck. For more information, see here: https://pilotsmanyourplanes.com/Page_167.html

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-49525900-1543096276_thumb.jpg

post-9787-0-99407500-1543096287_thumb.jpg

Thanx very much Paul,

will ask if possible having some pics of vest's stamped spot, however by basing on what you say I think the number is actually the correct 14859 since all the rest does match - certainly the guy has typed wrong.

Thanx again. Franco.