USS Niagara and USS Sacramento

I'm researching the visits of these vessels during the summer of 1864 at my hometown of Antwerp, Belgium. Allthough I have gathered lots of info, and spent hours in the local archives, I'm still in the search of a number of details to make the story complete. Especially about the technical aspects of these vessels.

I have tried to contact a number of museums in the US but so far no replies whatso ever. Regrettably the museum of Civil War Naval history is one of them.

So anyone reading this can forward me too, or link some interesting website, everything is greatly appreciated.

sincerely,

Guy

• 4 weeks later...

Guy- Is this any help? NIAGARA: Laid down: Oct. 1854; Launched: Feb. 23, 1856; Comm. Apr. 6, 1857. 5.540 tons, length-345' x 55' 3" x 24' 8" 1 screw, 3 horizontal direct-acting engines,

5 boilers, 14.5 knots. Was largest US warship when built.

SACRAMENTO: Laid down: 1861; launched: apr. 28, 1862; Comm. Jan. 7, 1863. 2,100 tons D; 229' 6" x 38' x 8' 10". 1 screw, 2 horizontal back-action condensing

engines. 12.5 knots. Ran aground- Madras, India, Jun. 9, 1867. Total loss.

This came from:Warships of the Civil War Navies by Paul H. Silverstone, 1989. It contains more information about these vessels.

Illinigander

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry for replying this late, I'm amidst of a move, selling of a 40 year re-enactment collection, retirement and renovation of a new home and things hobby wise are really low this period.

Yes, thanks for the info.

Since I'm working (though slow progress) on a book about these ships in Antwerp at the time, I cannot find any info on the guns they carried. From a dairy of a crewmember I know the crew performed gundrills for the amusement of the Antwerp townspeople. It would be nice though to find out what guns.

Guy

The armerment- SB= smooth bore; R= rifled; H= howitzer. USS Niagara: 4 32pdr. guns, 12 9" SB (Dahlgrens), 1 80 pdr. R (Parrott), 11 11" SB (Dahlgrens), 12 150pdr. (8" Parrott rifle), 1 24 pdr. H (Dahlgren), 2 12 pdr. (Dahlgren boat howitzers). It is unclear if also these guns served together, or some were later additions.

USS Sacramento: 1 150pdr (8' Parrott Rifle), 2 11" SB (Dahlgrens), 1 30 pdr. (Parrott Rifle), 2 24pdr. H (Dahlgrens), 2 12pdr. R (Dahlgren boat howitzer), 3 6.4" (Parrott rifles), 1 30pdr. (4.2" Parrott rifle), 6 8" SB (Dahlgrens). This number of guns is also unclear as above. Information came from same book.

Illinigander

• 3 weeks later...

Ken,

That is awesome information, thanks a lot for that info. Remind me to buy you a beer if ever calling this port!

BTW would it be correct to assume the Marines detachment served the largest guns on these vessels.

I read in several accounts of the battle between the CSS Alabama and the USS Kearsage, the Marines manned the larger guns of the USS Kearsage.

Anyway, thanks again.

Guy

This picture was taken on 19th july 1864 by anonymous photographer. It is in a sense quit unique. It is the USS Sacramento anchored in front of the city. Very distinct is the Antwerp cathedral tower and the roof of the city hall. 2 days later the ship would have been completely decorated as it participated in the festivities of the Belgian national day on the 21st july. The crew would perform gundrills and the ships officers invited to city hall for a banket with the mayor and other dignitaries.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...
illinigander

Guy- It is my understanding that the Marines were to protect the ship, (I know they were in charge of the small arms) but I have seen many paintings of naval crewmen serving the broadside guns, so it will take an more naval fellow for the correct answer. I did not find the picture you mentioned.

Ken

Guy- It is my understanding that the Marines were to protect the ship, (I know they were in charge of the small arms) but I have seen many paintings of naval crewmen serving the broadside guns, so it will take an more naval fellow for the correct answer. I did not find the picture you mentioned.

Ken

Ken,

Yes I'm afraid I had to remove the above mentioned picture from the forum (wrong hosting site and probably some copyright issue)

Well I based my assumption on reading that the Marines on board the USS Kearsage manned the forward gun during the seabattle with the CSS Alabama

at Cherbourg in June 1864. So far I have not found anything it was general rule.

Guy