Christmas came early in Louisiana

A friend of my wife brought these items by and asked if I was interested in purchasing them. Her husbands grandfather brought them back. I believe she said he passed away about 10 years ago. The items were recently discovered in a trunk in the attic of the family home. The veteran was Major Charles D. Young (retired Lt. Col) 59th Armored Infantry Battalion, 13th Armored Division. The SA dagger is marked Daniel Peres Solingen and the army dagger is Eickhorn Solingen. Eagle is SS. The belt seems to be made out of a fine wire and the buckle looks to be aluminum. It never ceases to amaze me that families have no attachment to items brought back by their relatives. If anyone has any info on the maker Daniel Peres please PM me, I could not find much on this company.

David

post-8007-0-29899700-1542933737_thumb.jpg

Wow the condition is just outstanding. Looks like an early model SA and the anodizing is beautiful. You should post that on the world militaria forum

I am eagerly collecting Pre-WWII USMC material. Any Marine Corps Span Am era, WWI, Banana Wars, or China Marine related material is especially sought after.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2019.gif

The dagger is made by a fairly rare maker.. Does the makers mark show a tapped beer keg??

Here is some information about the Daniel Peres manufacturer, Info Credit Larry C on War Relics Forum..

1792 : Established

1801 : Daniel Peres ,, artisan without privilege,, was granted the right to use his imported English Polish for scissors. shears,and surgical instruments..but not swords and cutlery
1895 : Business mfg. and sales of iron ,steel and brass wares. Tools for cabinetmakers, carpenters, lock smiths, shoe makers, saddlers, Edged weapons, straight razors, pen and pocket knives.
1900 : American Agent : Magnetic Cutlery Co. 1013 Arch st. Philadelphia Pa. Owner Otto Maussner..sole agent for Daniel Peres Barrel Brand Cutlery.
1926 : Gold Medal Philadelphia ( unsure of this entity..or what they produced )
1934 : sales trademark "barrel brand" was used on Early SA, NSKK, and HJ knives. No RZM permit was ever acquired.
1937 :Friedrich Str. Solingen. until present Daniel Peres exported his goods as of the 1937 date sold their products to the home market. 2 sales reps were hired from the Schweina Thuringia area.
1967 : celebrated 175th anniversary
2002 : until present location

Leigh

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Very nice group of items.Great daggers and insignias.The belt is a really nice example of the Army officer dress brocade belt the green trim matches the gree felt on the army hangers.Well done.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

That is a very nice pile! Congrats and the condition is hard to imagine that everything is in such pristine condition. That SS eagle is a dandy and that is indeed a rare dagger maker. What a great Thanksgiving for you.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Kurt

PS, best kind of Black Friday deal.

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 11 months later...

Great Items !!!!!

In Memory of Air Corps Technical Sergeant Carl F. Durfee. He died of wounds on 30 December 1944 while serving in the South Pacific. You are not forgotten.

ASMIC member

American Legion member

US Air Force & Air National Guard TAC - MAC

JOHN N. DANIELS ---152nd COMPANY C New York State Infantry--- captured 1864 survivor of Andersonville ---- Great-Great-Great Uncle

Captain Robert L. Hosler, 522nd Fighter/Bomber Sq. 12th Army Air Corp. World War Two P47 Pilot - 1 DFC- 5 Air Medal & 0ne Purple Heart---Uncle

1st Sgt Ann Barry, US Army Air Corp WAC World War Two --ETO --- Aunt

Sgt Willam M. Barry, USMC----Pacific World War Two--Father

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Just to share the mindset of some family . . . we have known some family of WWII vets who found bring-back items and the whole idea of Nazi items in their house was beyond what they wanted. They kept the stuff that was the vet's own, but not the actual Nazi items (I know you will say that technically it is TR, but I'm saying what the common person who isn't immersed in this says). So, don't judge the family too harshly for getting rid of bring-backs. Some families, sure, don't value the memory or the service of their vet at all. But some do, just don't want the enemy items. Can't say I blame them. I feel much the same way. If I had a Pacfic WWII vet in the family, and had a Japanese bring-back . . . I don't think I could stand to even hold it once.

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!
Looking for Old-Style US Coast Guard Commendation Medal (w/ or w/o ribbon)!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.