PROTECTING PHOTO'S FROM ALL ELEMENTS

LIFER

Besides the storage sheets from light or air, is there someone that makes containers to protect them from heat? This would be good for equipment too.

• 5 months later...

Since last November nobody offered a comment to this, Lifer - so, I'll give it a whack.

The only sure way to protect photographs FROM heat is to keep them away from heat sources - such as radiators, direct sun, garages, attics, furnaces etc etc etc.

To my knowledge, the only storage device or container that might work better than anything would be an actual fireproof or fire resistant safe?

Heat, generally has to get fairly high and stay that way for quite a long time under normal conditions for it to have much effect at all on most photographs. The higher the sustained heat over and above the ideal of about 70 degrees, the greater the risk.

Plus which, photographs have SO many different kinds of emulsions (the chemicals used to develop an image on paper, glass, metal etc.) - technically, scientifically, each emulsion will react to heat in a different way, eventually.

Humidity and pest infestations are, by far, more dangerous to paper artifacts than heat usually ever becomes.

• 1 month later...

Hi Bluehawk

Just catching up on things. Thanks for the info. It's good to know. I am still working on the photo's, and uniforms , etc. So I still have time. Lifer