Unidentified Web Pistol Belt - WW2?

silverplate

I recently acquired a web pistol belt that was promoted as Navy-issue during WW2. However, attempts to find details about it online turned up nothing.

The belt is a similar color to my navy-issue ammo pouch, and there are printed markings on it that include "US" and "1943", but beyond that I have no clue as to what I have. Also, the fact that it has 2 rows of grommeted holes, rather than 3 like the M1936 pistol belt, was one of the reasons I decided to get it in the first place. That seems to be a unique feature, different from the commonly found wartime pistol belts.

I'm hoping that someone here with far more knowledge than me can help identify what this belt is, and when and where it may have been used. Any details would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

post-162630-0-81025500-1542851266_thumb.jpg

post-162630-0-64307800-1542851290.jpg

post-162630-0-74175300-1542851313.jpg

post-162630-0-01787100-1542851337.jpg

Here are several more photos, including the belt with my navy-issue ammo pouch. The paint on the belt fasteners is almost an exact match with the paint on the ammo pouch snaps.

post-162630-0-53183500-1542851695.jpg

post-162630-0-89360100-1542851728.jpg

post-162630-0-40213500-1542851749.jpg

post-162630-0-31479300-1542851826.jpg

These are just my thoughts, and I could be WAY off!! But besides WW2 helmets, 30s - 40s field gear is my favorite collecting area. That doesn't make me an expert by any means. It makes me more of a student!!

After really looking at the belt, which is awesome by the way, it almost looks like it was hand made from a large web strap of some sort. The eyelets are placed all over the map. Some inside the stitching, and some right on the stitches. The distance between eyelets varies as well. The rivets, or fasteners, that hold the buckle in place look uneven. Plus, the buckles look like they are much wider than they need to be, and so are the keepers. My guess is this belt is not as wide as the standard pistol belt.

If it was hand made, I wonder what the reason was, and by who? Either way, I like it!!

Thanks for the info gents. Thank goodness I didn't pay much for it. I guess there's always a lesson to be learned.

Hmm, the link shows another belt similarly constructed and marked, but not the same piece as here. So there are at least two belts like this.

My mind keeps going back to why someone would do this, multiple times? This is A LOT of effort to recreate something that is widely available and sells for practically nothing. Just doesnt make much sense to me.

Here's the garrison belt variation. No grommets. I found this in an old army surplus store back in 2002. I consider it junk made from surplus parts. WW1 buckle, 2" WW2 webbing.

MVC-082S.JPG

MVC-083S.JPG

What it originally was, was an M1918 drag rope for artillery use in pulling guns by hand. The surplus store just simply took an item that they couldn't sell and made it into a belt.

drag rope 2.jpg

drag rope.jpg

Well that certainly explains the markings. Thanks robinb and everyone else who supplied info. It may not be an issue belt but at least it is period materials.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Interesting, I think there was an attempt to make a thread documenting surplus store specials like this, let me try and find it, also I remember not too long ago someone had a really nice WWI cartridge belt missing the buckle and was looking for one.

edit: here is someone who was recently looking for a WW1 belt buckle, maybe you can make your money back: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/318497-where-to-find-replacement-cartridge-belt-buckle/