Navy APH-6 Phantom VTAS Visual Target Acquisition System Helmet

Bob Hudson

This is the VTAS Visual Target Acquisition System configuration for the Navy's APH-6 single visor flight helmet.

I found this in a tech manual for the Navy's F-4B Phantom. It's always nice to see some detailed operational info, as collectable flight helmets seldom come with users guides,

h0.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

h5.jpg

h6.jpg

h7.jpg

Very interesting piece. Saw pics of one of these from the Smithsonian Air and Space Museums website. Interesting how some things seem so old fashioned like the stowing knob, yet the IR sensors and the plug are very similar to what was later used on the AH-64 Apache's IHADSS helmet from the 80s up until recently. Thanks for sharing!

• 4 weeks later...

This is the VTAS Visual Target Acquisition System configuration for the Navy's APH-6 single visor flight helmet.

I found this in a tech manual for the Navy's F-4B Phantom. It's always nice to see some detailed operational info, as collectable flight helmets seldom come with users guides,

Nice post Bob. A couple of weeks ago, I actually saw your listing on eBay for the F-4 Phantom II Supplementary NATOPS Manual & the Tactical Manual, but I was a few hours too late unfortunately, so didn't get the opportunity to purchase it. Your profile told me about this place however and I immediately signed up. :)

Nice post Bob. A couple of weeks ago, I actually saw your listing on eBay for the F-4 Phantom II Supplementary NATOPS Manual & the Tactical Manual, but I was a few hours too late unfortunately, so didn't get the opportunity to purchase it. Your profile told me about this place however and I immediately signed up. :)

Sorry you missed that. Check out this from the same Phantom RIO: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/316130-vietnam-war-phantom-rio-helmets-gear-flightsuits/

Sorry you missed that. Check out this from the same Phantom RIO:

I'm limited in the number of posts I can make per day Bob (3), so I wasn't able to respond sooner, but I can't see a link or any information in your post about the Phantom RIO?

I'm limited in the number of posts I can make per day Bob (3), so I wasn't able to respond sooner, but I can't see a link or any information in your post about the Phantom RIO?

oops

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/316130-vietnam-war-phantom-rio-helmets-gear-flightsuits/

Thanks for the link Bob.

I personally don't collect hardware, just technical manuals for military aircraft, having said I must say that you've got a fantastic collection there! I also really like the Popular Mechanics story. Seeing the photo and being able to connect it to the flight helmet is pretty special. Also the fact he flew the F-14.............!!!

• 1 year later...
lancecriminal86

@Bob HudsonAs it turns out, I now have a VTAS I helmet minus the VTAS gear. I'm waiting for a new flash to arrive tomorrow and I plan to take proper pictures of the disassembled helmet for a restoration thread. It would seem my helmet came out of Pt Mugu and after its original wearer turned it in, the helmet may have been re-taped and issued to a different squadron but per the gentleman named on the helmet it was an HGU-30 VTAS I of the 2nd type, with Scott mask receivers. It also has tape that matches two other helmets on this forum, one that was assumed to be a USMC helmet and another that is claimed as VQ-1.

I'm hoping to locate enough reference material to perhaps see about building a replica of the VTAS hardware someday, though it may not be possible. My thoughts are to reach out to Honeywell and see if there's any chance they still have any information or designs. If not, I at least have the story to go with the helmet itself and hopefully I can get it back into nice condition as far as the pads, edgeroll, and repairing the visor assembly.