Restored 3” gun from cemetery

USARV72

Back in 90s one of our group found this 3 in a cemetery. Negelected, flat tires, rusted through trail and tube full of assorted cans. Complete sand blasting, welding repairs to trails and tubes in tires had it almost good as new. Discovered not demilled other than broken firing pin. Easy fix as friend had complete firing mechanism. Cut 1 1/2 hole in tube at front of chamber, welded piece of 1 rebar in tube. Display was Military Through the Ages at Jametown Va. . Blanks were 1 pound of 1 F black powder. post-6975-0-45301200-1542797298_thumb.jpegpost-6975-0-22420600-1542797309_thumb.jpeg

This was second one we found and restored, War Museum in Newport News Va. has other one. Museum went through Tank Automotive to “ aquire” it, was ar defunct VFW post.

The reason I ask is that a lot of these guns were loaned out and many are still technically owned by the government. Finders keepers don't apply.

-Ski

Know the details, 1 owned by a city as it sits in a cemetery, other is kept by the museum as posted. Heard they are tranferable on 4473s now due to no ammo. Blanks we used were turned down Navy 3” .

Great that you were able to save and restore the 76mm. I bet that baby really barked.

There is a cannon at our local court house.I should get a couple photos sometime.They aquired it with in the last 20 years.

Also a small town has a 75mm pack Howitzer that was on display in the park there since I was a kid.It disappeared one day when it appeared the park became someones extended yard.I eventually found out it had been moved to its location at the towns community center.It has been painted a few times but is in need of a restore job.

Yes, it was quite loud. MTA has many Civil War camps, few with cannons. Their tactical displays involve firing the muzzle loaders. We fired 1 round and Jamestown park folks we new ran over and asked to turn it more toward the river, LOL. The building had glass walls. IIRC, was about 2 times louder than muzzle loader.