FLIGHT DECK CREW COLORS

LIFER

Okay, I searched for a similar post and nothing turned up. With that said, how many colors are there and what is their job? Also, who raises that big wall, at the rear of the plane ( you know, the deflector) and who gets to press the button to get the planes to go really fast, for take off (you know, the catapult launcher) That being the technical term...okay maybe not.

I can only address WWII:

Yellow Air Boos & Ddirectors

Red Ordnance

Blue Handlers

White Safety

Green Catapult and Arresting Crews

Brown Plane Captains

Hope this helps in some way. Jack

Jack

Than was a fast reply. Thanks for the info. I wonder if it still holds past that. Or if there were any more colors added, due to more modern planes and the jets becoming more advanced.

I think most of that is still good. Theres also purple which is fuel handlers "grapes" and then I think red is also like Fire/Emergency Response crews as well as the Ord guys.

Yellow= Aircraft directors, fly LPOs, and catapult shooters.

Green= Catapults and arresting gear, and Squadron Maint.

Red= Ordnance, and Crash and Salvage crew

White=Safety, Squadron Quality Assurance, and Catapult final checkers/trouble shooters.

Purple= Fuels (Grapes)

Blue=Chocks and chains.

Brown=Plane Captains (Turd shirts)

The AirBoss can wear any color he wants to, they all work for him. ?

Chris

Okay, now that the shirt colors are known, I am now trying to find out the rest. After looking into it, I know that I will get faster results mentioning this here. What was/is the rest of the uniform, as with the pants and boots. When searching the pants looked black. Another seemed to have light pants. Were/are they the same from the 1960's on up? Also, with the helmets, were they the same color as the shirts, or (a good question) were they like the pilots, each having their own design.

In my last post with this topic, I wanted to know if someone knew the helmets were the color as the shirts ( which I would say yes) and as to the markings. Anyone....anyone? Also, the rest of the uniform, anyone....anyone? Should I put this in the uniform part? Anyone?

I will speak up regarding my experience. From the 1980s and up, the pants (and jerseys) were issued by the sailor's unit. The pants were whatever the squadrons, or the ship could get from the supply system. You will see BDU pants, USN dungarees, Choc chip, DCUs etc. etc.

Chiefs and Officers usually wore wash khakis pants or DCU camo pants.

The pants, boots, and flight deck jerseys were issued from the command to the sailor because these items typically did not last long while working on the flight deck. These items were not part of the individual's sea bag uniform requirements.

Jersey colors generally matched the cranial helmet colors with a few exceptions.

I hope this helps.

Chris