Need your help, 101sr and 82nd airborne ike

klinsmann

BILL THE PATCH

Without provenance you can't tell. But all insignia looks good, I don't see any red flags in that aspect. But without a name it's a gamble. Any other info with uniform?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Having an original oval is always a good sign (i.e., put-together artists try to avoid investing too much money in their frauds - and ovals like this 504th PIR can be expensive).

For $1,295, which is WAY above "parts value", credible provenance is needed to justify that premium in price. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that.

I can tell you three things about this uniform: it is sold, it is all original and it now has an ID based on the laundry number inked in the collar and a whole bunch of digging. I rarely buy from dealers, but this was a very nice example. The Collector's Guild works only on consignment. I made them a much lower offer and it was accepted. Still not a bargain, but fair given what it is. The 504th oval is very desirable, and it has a more scarce version of the 101st SSI that is not often seen on uniforms. Its a darn nice Ike jacket. I requested his record yesterday, so we will see what turns up...

Nice pick up Andy. I have no doubts about this one either. The 101st patch, as you said, is a tough variant to find and the 504th PIR oval is right as rain. I also REALLY like the parachue wing.

My guess is that this soldier was a low points man whose enlistment wasn't up, so he got to stay on occupation duty with the 82nd after the war.

Obviously, the laundry mark is the key to learning more of this guy's story,

Allan

For posterity, here is some info on the owner. The first step is always creating a list of laundry # matches from the data base. Next comes the task of balancing the names off of the rosters. This can be an incredibly tedious task, but is usually worth it. I've researched enough uniforms like this to know exactly what it is. The owner was a later war (post Holland) replacement to the 101st who was reassigned to the 82nd/504th at the end of the war. The 82nd (minus the 508th PIR) returned to New York on 3 January 1946 aboard the Queen Mary, having departed from Southampton England. Several weeks later, these men marched in the famous 82nd Victory parade in NYC. Luckily the manifests for the Queen Mary have survived, and can be a treasure trove of info. The go to resource for the 101st is the Pulles rosters. These are excellent and quite complete, but many later war replacements are not listed. Unfortunately that was the case with this man. To get the ID I had to balance the NARA names against the QM manifests. Sure enough I found an exact match. He is on line 23 of the manifest. The Division, regiment, ASN, rank and HQ assignment are all a match. Also if you notice, the G in the sequence of numbers below the laundry # corresponds to the letter in the shipment number block of the manifest. I believe this may be a laundry # peculiar to the QM. Looking at the jacket, I do believe a top row of pin back ribbons is missing for some reason. This is probably the GCM and perhaps a PH. His record should tell me that.

post-110-0-65142500-1542553198_thumb.jpg