WW2 USN/USMC aviation blue wool baseball caps

MattS

Thanks again guys. I find it interesting that Eastman Leather Company sells a WWII reproduction of the blue wool cap. This company,which prides itself on authenticity to the last stitch offers a blue wool cap advertised as USN aviator WWII, and theirs has the horse hide sweatband, four stitches across the bill. Black tape reinforcing the four panel seam inside, and the linen support inside the front. It is also offered with metal grommets. Similar to many seen here, but it is also apparent there must have been some variation as previously stated.

Yes Eastman made a repro. The official issue cap (the blue ones and red and green for ground crew) were adopted in the the Class 37 catalog around 1945. Eastman leather blue wool cap is repro of official issue cap contracted in 1945 year. They even make a label. I never see orgin label but I supposed that his label is based on orgin ones.

Earlier than 1945 most of these caps were private purchase so all are similar but can be different in some details as we see in previous posts.

Cheers,

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Good one !

It's a nice cap, and very comfortable once it's broken in. These were "seconds" because they weren't steam pressed at the factory leaving the sweatband all kinds of crooked. I followed their advice and wet it down with warm water and wore it around the house. Once it dried, the sweatband was the proper shape. I guess ATF wasn't selling very many so they were discontinued.

• 5 months later...

Came across this image of Major Joseph J McGlothlin (far right), CO of VMF-313 while stationed on Leyte. A couple of notables is the wearing of the green nylon flight suit, standard trouser belt but with a private purchase type holster and a revolver. The specific point related to this topic is the Boston Red Socks cap with an added feature of an EGA on the bill.

post-56-0-28613900-1559439327.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi M Name is Todd and while I rarely post, I do read a lot of these posts, this is a GREAT TOPIC!!!

I have a question, What I would like to know is what the Visor Length for the various WWII Issued and Worn ones is?

• 1 month later...

Hi, Todd. The period cap bills were likely shorter than most repros you will find. Every once in a while you see one that has a larger looking crown and larger bill but those are the exception IMO.

This pic from page 1 is an example though it is down tight on his head and still hasn't reached his ears.

image.png.442941a7425bc5fa3e0b93bc60c7dc0b.png

Dave

Glad to see this old post pop up again. I thought it might be a chance to share my latest folly. I have an Eastman A2 jacket coming representing the 23rd fighter group and thought it might be fun to do up one of their repo hats to represent the group. Here is a photo of how it turned out. It needs to be worn and probably fade some. I included a shot of what their tag looks like inside as it was discussed in this thread. The spirit behind this creation came from a real red WWII cap similarly marked (to a different unit) that appears on the Eastman site in the listing for their this hat. Kevin

B8ABE5F7-B9E7-47D7-A7E8-0C5DD76C5A87.jpeg

E90F7028-41FD-4C40-A1F6-A93B502FA669.jpeg

4A7CAB10-3A9A-43ED-BEF9-AF6FFB74E891.jpeg

Personally, I think most of the reproductions copy each other or chase one example and leave the pattern too much. It's easy to do as the devil is in the details. When the modern repros get all beat up they tend to look like 60s era caps IMO.

Testing is the only way to know!

thumbnail2.jpg

3.jpg

thumbnail3.jpg

thumbnail4.jpg