Name Tape Embroidered or Stamped?

tk1976

Hey yall, I wasnt sure where I could post this so if it needs to be moved than please do so. The white cotton name tapes used from the 50s to late 60s, would it be correct if they were embroidered as well as stamped? Or were they just stamped on?

Most of us wore the printed type as the embroidered version cost, which cut into our meager beer money.

That's always been my impression, the GI type was cheaper and gotten at the Clothing Sales Store, though I also get the impression that some Supply Rooms around Army Wide had these stamping machines with roll of Web tape, White and later OD and made them on request.

I don't remember them in the supply rooms but certainly possible, I didn't get embroidered ones till the subdued came out in 69 or so. I do remember removing them from fatigues I was turning in and using them again on other fatigues or field jacket.

I don't remember them in the supply rooms but certainly possible, I didn't get embroidered ones till the subdued came out in 69 or so. I do remember removing them from fatigues I was turning in and using them again on other fatigues or field jacket.

Seen a few years back one of these machines online somewhere that was company property, marked, a National Guard unit,

I figured there was a reason why there aren’t many embroidered name tapes. Plus there’s a guy on eBay making stenciled name tapes with original tape and a original stamp.

• 10 months later...
WoodlandCamoDude1200

Here's a sampling of the significant array of various White NAME tapes that could be seen back in those days.

post-14361-0-91079200-1391387634.jpgus39-99us-army-vietnam-era-early-white-n

Hey Patches... I was recently watching the Vietnam War documentary by Ken Burns and i noticed a stamper pumping out one similar to those tags you have posted (Little, middle picture) Do you know any information on that machine? or what font letterpress alphabet they were using back then? It's such a clean font!! :)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Patches... I was recently watching the Vietnam War documentary by Ken Burns and i noticed a stamper pumping out one similar to those tags you have posted (Little, middle picture) Do you know any information on that machine? or what font letterpress alphabet they were using back then? It's such a clean font!! :)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have no idea on the machines, the LETTER, I guess is just like Newpaper Type, and would vary, and vary alot, seeing the huge amount of sizes used, Thick, Slender etc etc,, both on the 50s-60s White tapes and the 60s OD ones, sometimes even Stencils were used back then, which adds more variations. They seem to have settled a bit more in the 70s and up to the point when the BDUs were no longer worn, the LETTER being more uniform and standard in size.