M-1950 Jacket..

kphfun

I have a m1950 jacket and I am trying to get a bit of history on it. How many of these were made as it could not have been a large run as they had the M1951 and the M1943? Was this just issued to Army personal or did the Marines also get it ? Did it get issued to Korean War troops? Sorry for all the ??'s..

post-3273-1228877682.jpg

post-3273-1228877702.jpg

Greg Robinson
Thanks Craig. So what I can glean is that it was very short lived and was used by whoever could get it!

It was manufactured from December 1950 until the summer of '51. I don't think the Marines ever officially adopted it but the Army and Air Force did.

Here's a pic of the M1950 field jacket liner.

post-4-1228898993.jpg

Captainofthe7th

These were used along with the MQ-1 (M43+ buttons) from their introduction until the end of Korea....I have yet to see a picture of an M51 jacket in Korea. My grandfather vividly remembers his M50. Every time I visited wearing my M43 he would ask "Does it have the buttons on the inside for the liner? Mine used to..."

I still haven't found a good one to wear, they're hard to come by.

Rob

Greg Robinson

My M1943 MQ-1 has a contract date in 1948 but I suspect these weren't made until the Korean War. Does anybody know for sure when the MQ-1 field jacket went into production?

post-4-1228951177.jpg

post-4-1228951245.jpg

post-4-1228951275.jpg

Captainofthe7th

I would say 1948 sounds about right. The MQ-1 style Ike jackets were made in 1946. I don't know of a precise date for the MQ-1 jacket, but I think it's post WWII and pre Korea. At least that narrows it down to half a decade lol

Rob

Greg Robinson
I would say 1948 sounds about right. The MQ-1 style Ike jackets were made in 1946. I don't know of a precise date for the MQ-1 jacket, but I think it's post WWII and pre Korea. At least that narrows it down to half a decade lol

Rob

I think that 1948 date shown on the spec label is when they first contracted to have them made. But I still think that not many were made prior to 1950. The MQ-1's and M1950's in larger sizes got used up in Korea which is why all you see today are smalls.

What makes no sense to me is they added liner buttons as early as 1948 but didn't adopt the M1950 liner until the Spring of '51.

Greg

These were used along with the MQ-1 (M43+ buttons) from their introduction until the end of Korea....I have yet to see a picture of an M51 jacket in Korea. My grandfather vividly remembers his M50. Every time I visited wearing my M43 he would ask "Does it have the buttons on the inside for the liner? Mine used to..."

I still haven't found a good one to wear, they're hard to come by.

Rob

Well here ya go Rob thumbsup.gif ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320324228926

Greg Robinson

Good luck....I hope you have better luck selling that M1950 than I did. They're usually hard to find but a while back I picked up several in good condition, size small. I even listed them for sale with M1950 liners which are even harder to find than the jackets alone. But nobody was interested because they weren't a size "XXXX LARGE" which is what collectors apparently want when they buy field jackets. :D So I basically gave two of them away keeping the two best ones for my collection.

Hahaha, thats about it Greg, if it was a Medium I would have kept it. Not meant for a 190 pound lad like me (twenty years ago it would have!), 150-160 or less and you would be okay.

I was issued one in 1955 when I went in the USAF, and issued another just like it 4 years latter. I still have it somewhere.

regards,

Bob Frey