Opinons Needed - 326th Abn Med Co M1

med-dept

Hi guys,

I have the opportunity to purchase this 326th Airborne Medical Company marked M1 Helmet. The shell itself is a fixed bail McCord (heat stamp # 292A), with original straps with raised bar brass buckle. There are several stress fractures, but the original finish is present in places (around 60%). The shell has been rubbed with oil (WD-40) by the current owner.

I would like opinions on the markings themselves. Please let me know what you think:

Thanks,

Ben.

post-2299-0-86422300-1542225430_thumb.jpg

Ben,

If I were you I'd look for a USB microscope on eBay. You can find them starting at around 10GBP in China (not the best but it does the job). If the markings are indeed authentic you should see microscopic cracks in the paint.

Here's an image I've captured with my Chinese 10 buck USB microscope last week... This is exactly what you'll want to see looking at the paint on there (fakers can't replicate this kind of aging).

Hope it helps

Mon-Nov-05-12-04-43.jpg

Ben, a real 326th medical helmet is very rare and I assume examples to be fake unless there is provenance. Ive been burned myself on a fake 326th in the past and have only seen a single relic example in the past that I know to be real. Im sure they exist but are tied up in collections and unlikely to be sold. Im not a fan of the markings on this one.

Am I missing something? What would make this even an AB helmet? The "cross" is questionable - but stands a chance. Forgive my question - but what am I missing?

Youre correct Tom. A single white cross on the side was associated with the 326th Medical Battalion, but not exclusive. Markings like this can also be seen on battalion surgeons helmets from WWII as well. So may or may not be 326th but lots of period pics with this marking on their helmets.