Helmet Help Please

Scarecrow

I will try and make this story/request as brief as possible. With the qualification that I know little of helmets. A USAAF question there is a chance I can help, helmet knowledge....nada. Anyhow a friend of mine's son is a WWII reenactor on a budget, He acquired this helmet that had many layers of paint and decided to strip it down and refurb it for reenacting. I just happened to be at his house one day when he was stripping the paint. A few layers down he uncovered the markings shown in the attached photos. I managed to convince him to stop and let me take photos. He even offered to sell it to me or trade for another helmet. Not sure what I might have here, so wanted some more knowledgeable opinions. Obviously it's 1st Infantry Division and the side markings appear to be for the 18th regiment. as it is the regiment's whose insignia contains a red angled stripe. Unfortunately the painted insignia has sustained heavy damage from stripping and scraping. Also the leather liner chinstrap he has replaced and is not original to the helmet. My question centers around the era others feel it may be from? WWII, Korea, 60's etc.? Thoughts, opinions or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

post-23999-0-71070800-1542225369.jpgpost-23999-0-58134000-1542225376.jpg

Euroclone chinstraps

John

Thank you for taking the time to respond, much appreciated. My question centers around the helmet and its markings.

The 1st ID insignia looks to be a decal so, I'd put it in the late 40's to the more mid 50's era which would correspond with the period regimental decal.

John

Thank you for taking the time to respond, much appreciated. My question centers around the helmet and its markings.

Sorry, I was responding from my phone.

I see the non-ww2 us chinstraps as a flag that at the very least some "restoration" has been done. Makes me suspicious of the markings, not saying it's not possible they are original, but right away I'm thinking this is more likely a re-enactor helmet that got painted over or something. I certainly could be wrong.

Bugme & Johnk

Thank you both for your responses. Bugme I think you are right that the markings are decals, which as you say most likely makes it from the 50’s. Johnk you are also correct that some restoration was done, as I mentioned the young man was refurbishing it for reenactor use. However I do believe the decals are original as they were under a couple of layers of paint and I can’t imagine anyone wanting to reproduce 1950’s era decals. Again thanks to the both of you for responding.

Paul

Paul,

This could also be a late 1940's helmet since the 1st Division used decals like this during the occupation from late 1945 on. Here some 1st Division men with similar decals from late 1945-46

post-8296-0-30101700-1542248848_thumb.jpg

Paul,

This could also be a late 1940's helmet since the 1st Division used decals like this during the occupation from late 1945 on. Here some 1st Division men with similar decals from late 1945-46

Many thanks! You just might have hit the proverbial "nail on the head", especially with the light colored background of the 1st Div. insignia on the front of the helmet. Looks to be a match. So most likely this helmet dates from the 1st Division's German occupation duty/Nuremburg Trials period of 1945-1955, as I believe they were returned stateside in 1955. Thanks again.

Hi Paul,

Glad I could help. I would put that helmet more in the late 40's than the 50's time period. Here is a liner I have that belonged to a Lt. Col with the 1st Division in 1946-47.

post-8296-0-65468700-1542351686_thumb.jpg

post-8296-0-01170100-1542351708_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul,

Glad I could help. I would put that helmet more in the late 40's than the 50's time period. Here is a liner I have that belonged to a Lt. Col with the 1st Division in 1946-47.

That is one nice looking liner. And it looks like youve narrowed the era for the helmet to the mid to late 40s. Thanks again, great information.

Paul

That is one nice looking liner. And it looks like youve narrowed the era for the helmet to the mid to late 40s. Thanks again, great information.

Paul

I don't think that anyone said "mid to late 40's". The advice has been "late 40's to mid 50's".

Mid-40's would place this in a wartime setting. It is not wartime and the best chance is post-war occupation.

Whatever the case, good save on the helmet.

I don't think that anyone said "mid to late 40's". The advice has been "late 40's to mid 50's".

Mid-40's would place this in a wartime setting. It is not wartime and the best chance is post-war occupation.

Whatever the case, good save on the helmet.

Thanks Bugme, again you are correct I misspoke when I said "mid 40's" . We'll go with what I mentioned first, the Division's occupation period of 1945-1955.

Thanks to all that responded and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Burning Hazard

Front insignia looks like it may still be salvageable; you probably have to work with Goof-off and q-tips to remove the top OD paint.

Pat