My AEF Collection

TrenchRat

I always wanted to display a member of the 27th Division wearing the British uniform they would have been issued once under British command and thus clothed by them.

The coat is actually post WWI, but it is a British coat and not a reproduction...

Also came across this Mills flag bearer's harness to go with this 18th Inf. figure. Not seen here, but the coat has Color Sargent's rank and each sleeve...

NEW_3.jpg.11ff82073b34fa835ec13711a1a3ea34.jpgNEW_4.jpg.be55a787adb4b5cdbc9afcc57dd47f62.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
US Victory Museum

Phenomenal update!

I very much appreciate the scarcity of your wet weather gear; both the poncho, as well as the raincoat are quite scarce

and are desirable in almost any condition.  Yours appear almost  unused.  You must have looked long and patiently to

purchase just the right ones to add to your collection.    I'm glad that you decided to get the Mackinaw.  These are quite

uncommon; the few I have ever seen are almost always found without their belts, as yours has its belt, you can always

up-trade if a better condition specimen surfaces.  That it has minor issues should be of zero concern;  these were cold

weather working garments that were not the property of the soldier, but were issued for a given task, and then to be

returned.  A such, they were used until they no longer had any utility (consumptive attrition) and disposed of; therefore,

very few exist in any condition.  I only wonder how many people looking at your display recognize the scarcity of only

that one item... and then multiply that by the number of equally significant artifacts you show.

You collection puts to shame the majority of museum collections I've ever seen photographed.  You should be proud.

Thank you for sharing your exquisite treasures, and please keep posting updates!

Msn

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, RustyCanteen said:

TR

I am not sure how I missed your latest posts, but excellent additions!

RC

Hey RC, nice to hear from you...

And thank you for saying so...very happy to have gotten my hands on these....

BTW, I'm getting pretty deep into that" project" I mentioned to you some time ago...it's been awhile but it is in the works...

TR

• 6 months later...
carfin lewys

Hello gentlemen,

Oh Yes !!!  That is a super collection & very well displayed. Compliment.

Best regards from Alsace , France.

Carfin.

TrenchRat
On 3/12/2021 at 5:30 AM, kaiserwilhelm2 said:

OUTSTANDING!!!

Good day,

Glad the Kaiser likes the AEF collection...lol...

Thanks for the compliment...

TR

TrenchRat
On 3/19/2021 at 9:33 AM, carfin lewys said:

Hello gentlemen,

Oh Yes !!!  That is a super collection & very well displayed. Compliment.

Best regards from Alsace , France.

Carfin.

Thank you Carfin...much appreciated...

manayunkman

Looking through it again I’ve noticed that many of the manakins have tilted or cocked heads.

How was this done? I love the affect.

TrenchRat
34 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Looking through it again I’ve noticed that many of the manakins have tilted or cocked heads.

How was this done? I love the affect.

Man,

That was done very easily...

The styro' heads are mounted to the torsos with large finishing nails. I can place the heads on them at any angle or rotation I choose.

I prefer each figure to "look" at the viewer from the figure's best viewing angle. Also, I think the slight tilt gives these figures some sort of attitude...

I particularly like the officer with the Adrian helmet myself...rather jaunty looking...

Thanks for asking...!

manayunkman

I love the way it looks and ads an element of ghostly realism.

What did you cover the heads with?

TrenchRat
9 hours ago, manayunkman said:

I love the way it looks and ads an element of ghostly realism.

What did you cover the heads with?

I cover the heads with black opaque women's leggings. I cut each leg portion in half so I can place two layers to get the desired "opaqueness". The less I stretch the more opaque the result. One pair of leggings nets me the coverings for two heads...

TrenchRat
1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

When the time comes I’m going to give it a go.

Great, curious to see how it works out...

• 2 weeks later...
jerry_k

Wow very very impressive. One of the best collection I have ever seen, thanks for photos!

Regards,

Jerry

TrenchRat
On 4/3/2021 at 1:28 PM, jerry_k said:

Wow very very impressive. One of the best collection I have ever seen, thanks for photos!

Regards,

Jerry

Thank you Jerry, I certainly appreciate the complement!

• 2 months later...
TrenchRat

Good day all,

I had been wanting to add a display such as this for some time. Feeling particularly patriotic lately I began to piece this display together.

Here is a 48-star flag; may not be as old as the Great War is, but it has character. Due to my low ceilings, I had to use an indoor 7-foot display flag pole.

Also, due to my low ceiling, I could not use the proper spear-point top to the pole so I settled for a simple brass "acorn" type.

Please forgive...

Anyway, this one is a keeper for me.

Hope others agree...

Thanks for looking...

flag.jpg

TrenchRat

The coat is original, not put together. 

Color Sergeant, 18th Infantry Regiment...

IMG-4993.JPG

eaglerunner88

Great set up! So the star under the chevrons indicate a member of the color guard? Never seen that before. 

TrenchRat
5 minutes ago, eaglerunner88 said:

Great set up! So the star under the chevrons indicate a member of the color guard? Never seen that before. 

Thanks 88,

Yes, the three chevrons over a star denoted a color sergeant...at least up to and including World War I. Afterwards, no more...