My AEF Collection

I have seen lots of variations of these armbands over the years in documented groups.

Made of felt or woven material; worn on the cuffs or below where your chevrons would be; sewn on, tacked on, etc. Usually they are on the left sleeve, but it's not out of the question that you could have them on both.

As to being tailor made...sure...virtually no uniforms that saw combat with the AEF are around...but that doesn't mean it's not cool to dress up your jacket as much as possible. I've seen others do the same.

Unless an unscrupulous dealer added these, I'm confident that's what they are.

Thanks for all the information you presented here.

I will accept your assessment of the odd stripes.

Liked my explanation better, but I can see it likely doesn't hold water...lol...

In Memoriam

My Father, Henry W. Milton, USAAF, Burma, 1943-1945, Lost May 2, 2017
My Grandfather, Nathan Hale, US Navy, USS Rhode Island, 1915-1918, Lost 1968
My 3X Great Grandfather, Sgt. Frederick Hale, 55th New York,
wounded and captured at Malvern Hill, Virginia, July 1, 1862,

died as Prisoner of War, Richmond, July 24, 1862

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing displays. I like how the mannequins look very neutral and keeps ones eyes on the uniforms. I’ve tried looking for those exact ones and can’t find any that are a flat black and have that same face. I’ll keep looking though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliment, it is much appreciated...!

You are 100% correct in your assessment; my plan was to feature only the uniforms and gear, not the figure. However, I believe that a little attitude is obtained by a slight twist of the head and tilt of the helmet...

The torsos I use are put together by myself, not purchased that way. They are little more than a fiberglass torso style I found on eBay mated to a typical Styrofoam head also sourced from eBay and cut to fit the torso properly. The head is covered by a few layers of opaque spandex...

In Memoriam

i noticed the tilted neck right away. The French soldier stood out. So spandex over styrofoam mannequins. I’ve got to look into that. Thanks

If you are looking to do something similar, be aware that the torsos that I used are now found on Amazon. There may be similar ones on eBay too. In my collection I have used several size torsos, mostly size 38...and that seems to be what is available now as I have not come across a smaller size for some time.

There are a few sizes of styro heads on ebay, the small ones are quite cheap but they look rather poor beneath the helmets. The heads that run closer to $20 are the ones I have used. The last one I purchased happened to be flesh-toned and cost $18.00...

The spandex I refer to that cover the heads are actually women's opaque leggings...size X-large...

Almost all of the figures I show are many years old...and they were a lot less expensive then. They are more costly now...but they work great...

I'll be curious to see how you make out building yourself one...!

In Memoriam

If you are looking to do something similar, be aware that the torsos that I used are now found on Amazon. There may be similar ones on eBay too. In my collection I have used several size torsos, mostly size 38...and that seems to be what is available now as I have not come across a smaller size for some time.

There are a few sizes of styro heads on ebay, the small ones are quite cheap but they look rather poor beneath the helmets. The heads that run closer to $20 are the ones I have used. The last one I purchased happened to be flesh-toned and cost $18.00...

The spandex I refer to that cover the heads are actually women's opaque leggings...size X-large...

Almost all of the figures I show are many years old...and they were a lot less expensive then. They are more costly now...but they work great...

I'll be curious to see how you make out building yourself one...!

thanks for the tips. Legging are cheaper than a spandex body suit to cover it all. I’ll look into it. I’m seeing some mannequins with torso, arms, and the head that might work.

• 1 year later...

I cannot believe that I have missed this fantastic display of WWI Doughboy display of uniforms and equipment. Thank you TrenchRat for posting these outstanding displays.

Best Regards,

John

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

BigJohn,

Thanks so much for your comments, it is certainly appreciated. I am very glad to have this forum in which to post it...

In Memoriam

50 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

I somehow missed it as well.

A haunting display.

A room full of ghosts from the past.

Very impressive.

Manayunkman,

Thanks for saying that...I like that description. Ghosts, hope not, but from time to time our little pooch seems to bark at the door...and the hall...never anything there I can see...

In Memoriam

5 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

My pleasure Trench.

Keep up the good work.

Yes, I certainly shall. I have a few unique and rare additions to post very soon...

thanks again!

In Memoriam

I never fail to be impressed by the depth of Glenn's collection, as well as how it is presented.

I am eagerly awaiting future updates to this magnificent display.

Glenn:

If you need help scaling and converting photos to get the maximum resolution and size

within the 200Kb file limits, send me a PM. 

donation2009.gif
1 hour ago, US Victory Museum said:

I never fail to be impressed by the depth of Glenn's collection, as well as how it is presented.

I am eagerly awaiting future updates to this magnificent display.

Glenn:

If you need help scaling and converting photos to get the maximum resolution and size

within the 200Kb file limits, send me a PM. 

Heya Mike,

Thanks again for your continuous support, it is always most appreciated. Watch for an incoming PM; I have something interesting to mention to you and we can go over the photography...

In Memoriam

Wow! just WOW! 

Incredible collection! And the work you have put into the display is exemplary! I collect mostly World War Two items, but have always been fascinated by The Great War and do pickup the items I see when they're the right price. Your collection and dedication is definitely a role model and something to look up to for all Great War collectors. 

If I may ask, what is your main source for your collection? Do you find most of your items in the woodwork or more so from online sources like eBay--or somewhere else entirely? And do you use anything specific as a main reference point for your research? You have many displays showcasing things I've never heard of before!

Again, amazing work on your collection! Looking forward to your future photos on this thread, and definitely a reference in its own right!
Hunt

I am an amateur collector of US military items of the 20th century.

Looking for items related to:

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2, Alaskan Theater, Alaska Defense Command, and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Items related to the 50th Combat Engineer Regiment/Battalion

-Items related to Wheelus Air Force Base Libya, particularly from 1957-1960

-WW2 items belonging to service members from Northern Virginia

-WW2 Uniforms (all branches and services)

-Cheap/Throwaway WW2 named uniforms

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

-7th Infantry Division Items

-WW2 Photos and Letters (all branches, theaters, services, etc)

^^ PM ME!!

Instagram: @surplus_central https://instagram.com/surplus_central/

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/giovachm

GREAT DISPLAY, THANKS FOR YOUR DEDICATION TO YOUR PERSONAL INTEREST.  SHAREING THESE UNIFORMS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.  A  NICE WOOL ERA CORRECT 48 STAR FLAG WOULD HELP PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THE ACTUAL TIME IN U. S. HISTORY, THAT THIS WAR WAS FOUGHT.  GIH

29 minutes ago, gih said:

GREAT DISPLAY, THANKS FOR YOUR DEDICATION TO YOUR PERSONAL INTEREST.  SHAREING THESE UNIFORMS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.  A  NICE WOOL ERA CORRECT 48 STAR FLAG WOULD HELP PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THE ACTUAL TIME IN U. S. HISTORY, THAT THIS WAR WAS FOUGHT.  GIH

Thank you very much gih, most appreciated.

Actually, I may have a 48 star from my grandfather who served in the US Navy 1915-1918, though I doubt is wool. Have to take another look.

But yes, that would be a good addition...should I find a place for it...lol...

Thanks again

In Memoriam

11 hours ago, huntssurplus said:

Wow! just WOW! 

Incredible collection! And the work you have put into the display is exemplary! I collect mostly World War Two items, but have always been fascinated by The Great War and do pickup the items I see when they're the right price. Your collection and dedication is definitely a role model and something to look up to for all Great War collectors. 

If I may ask, what is your main source for your collection? Do you find most of your items in the woodwork or more so from online sources like eBay--or somewhere else entirely? And do you use anything specific as a main reference point for your research? You have many displays showcasing things I've never heard of before!

Again, amazing work on your collection! Looking forward to your future photos on this thread, and definitely a reference in its own right!
Hunt

Thank you, thank you Hunt, greatly appreciated...

I find most of what I have from on-line resources; I believe ebay is a great source for me as are the on-line retail sites. I have purchased some of the better coats, gear and such at traditional "gun shows" and local antique dealers.

For me, I look to find the not-often seen early winter greatcoats, shawl collared greatcoats and mackinaws only because you don't typically see these in photos and likewise seldom for sale, so I keep an eye open for such things. I like to think these articles make my displays a little more unique. I dig through the photos posted here on this forum, books and elsewhere to inspire me to track these things down. When I see such photos, I just want to replicate them in my own way somehow so I'll scour the 'net and other sources hoping to eventually find them...this is the joy of collecting for me...

Thanks again Hunt...more to come...

In Memoriam

Hunt, my edit timed out so this is what I actually wanted to say...

I find most of what I have from on-line resources; I believe ebay is a great source for me as are the typical on-line retail sites and I'm particularly lucky at the more obscure retail sites. I have purchased some of the better coats, gear and such at traditional "gun shows" and local antique dealers.

For me, I look to find the not-often seen early winter greatcoats, shawl collared greatcoats and mackinaws only because you don't typically see these in photos and likewise seldom for sale, so I keep an eye open for such things. I like to think these articles make my collection a little more unique and complete. I dig through the photos posted here on this forum, thanks to members such as WWI Nerd and others, my books and elsewhere to inspire me to track these pieces down. When I see such photos, I just need to replicate them in my own way so I'll scour the 'net and other sources hoping to eventually find them...

Thanks again Hunt...more to come...

In Memoriam

• 2 months later...

Good day all,

I have been fortunate enough to lay my hands on some nice and somewhat rare (?) items this year...

I thought I might update the this photo album with the new figures....

Comments always welcome...

First up, a somewhat perfect example on an enlisted raincoat with a very nice manufacturer's marking, dated 1917.

Also shown here is what I believe is correctly referred to as the model 1918 trench knife as opposed the Mark 1 trench knife (like the au lion) which is not the 1918 model ?

Correct if wrong, but I believe the 1917 trench knife features the pyramid studs, while the 1918 model features the serrated flanged knuckle guard...or is it the other way around?

RAINCOAT.jpg.6cfd15bf44d910a04857127dd4bfc5bb.jpg

In Memoriam

More foul weather gear.

This poncho is also in great condition and likewise features a clear mfr's marking...

poncho.jpg.510c3b76fbf4d348f46e40b02a231e48.jpgponcho_label.jpg.20a30bd8a26ece07ebfffc5ca37ab7d8.jpg

In Memoriam

Continuing with the same theme, here is a rather nice and very rare 1918 pattern mackinaw.

The coat has its issues and a little rough (needs a little work), but you hardly ever see these...isn't that correct Mike ??

Coat retains a nice clear mfr's dated label...

137801277_1918mackinaw.jpg.386de4c71aa7d47eb20a8bbcfa2a7403.jpg

In Memoriam

Obtained this Hotchkiss gunner chain mail shoulder pad and gloves set some time last year.

The chain mail gloves are there also, just not easily seen....

Hotchkiss.jpg.407b897df1302a1b8160cafcdc628f19.jpg

In Memoriam

Here are a few updated or redesigned figures.

Found this nice 31st Div. Gas mask satchel, and

I was happy to obtain the great 1910 Hospital Corps Pouch to enhance my corpsman...

NEW_1.jpg.a7809ac55c192c5eee94fd79f67983b4.jpgNEW_2.jpg.b2a7d06d0138b45223660ed0db543675.jpg

In Memoriam