1863-1893 New York Monument Dedication medal

Thor996

1863-1893 New York Monument Dedication medal. Why, when or who re ribboned the medal I do not know. If anyone can shed some light on the re ribbon and the clasp, I'd appreciate it.

post-30395-0-17265700-1542160608.jpg

post-30395-0-82251800-1542160616.jpg

post-30395-0-58765600-1542160627.jpg

My guess is that this piece is a marriage of a pendant without a ribbon and a ribbon without a pendant. It is weren't for the metal for the top and bottom being different, I might not have known it didn't originate like this.

Can you provide a closer view of the suspension bar?

Sorry for not being more clear. The bar with the stylized letters is what I would like to see in more detail. The first photos you supplied were good. I just could not zoom in enough to positively make out what letters were on it.

I think this OES is order of eastern star monogram...so masonic ribbon on Gettysburg monument medal? OES colors match the ribbon colors too. So this would be a marriage of a Gettysburg monument medal and a masonic lodge ribbon and badge if I am correct.

https://www.gettysburgfreemasons.org/order-of-the-eastern-star-chapter-392/o-e-s-history/

post-30395-0-14073500-1542338406.png

I agree with that assessment. While it looks nice to the unknowing bystander, to someone who prefers items in their original condition, I would break apart the marriage and treat them as separate pieces.

I agree with that assessment. While it looks nice to the unknowing bystander, to someone who prefers items in their original condition, I would break apart the marriage and treat them as separate pieces.

I was told by someone who has a Gettysburg medals page that this may most likely have been a veteran who was also an OES member. I prefer to leave things as I find them and let the next person break them apart. But thanks for your help.

dave

but if asked, I'd say that its NOT original veteran piece but a marriage of two parts with no real connection to a vet.. and I'd value it more for the medal without the drape on it.... no deceit on my part ever as to any association ...