USMC Virtual Campaign Library: Haiti 1915 -1934

Dirk

sonofaFlyingDeuce

Thanks again for sharing your impressive collection of photos of that era/subject! I became curious about the back story of some photos and I have been able to identify men and places. The most impressive so far are the three men in this montage I made from two of the photos to better illustrate their story that unfolded in December, 1919. Hanneken killed Peralte, the leader of the Cacos insurgents, at his HQ and together with Button, killed/captured/routed some 1,200 of his men and thus stopped an insurrection. This photo of Peralte's body is probably a photo of the 'hand card' that Hanneken had distributed all over Haiti as 'proof of death' to the populace of the rebel leader. The caption says" "Charlemagne Peralte Chief of the Cacos, Killed at Fort Capois". For this action, Sgt. Hanneken and Cpl. Brown were awarded the Medal of Honor and commissions. 2nd Lt. Hanneken later killed another rebel leader (there had been a post here showing a dead Haitian but I couldn't find it again- was it Osiris Joseph, Peralte's successor?) for which he was awarded his first Navy Cross (his second came for action in Nicaragua).

Button died of malaria while still in Haiti but Hanneken went on to distinguish himself in the Solomon Islands as a combat commander. Hanneken retired in 1948 and died at 93 and is buried at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego (dang, had I only known that when I was there a few months ago!).

Also, I'm in awe of how someone like Hanneken (and Smedley Butler, he received TWO MofHs) can go through life dodging so many bullets and die 'peacefully' at 93 while there are people who don't survive a bee sting at a young age. Come to think of it, my father and Hanneken had something in common.

Leatherneck magazine has an interesting article on the occupation of Haiti.

post-155826-0-77686500-1423350601.jpg